Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

#4831 Post by RESET_9999 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:11 pm

Cr4z33 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:59 pm
I wanted to mux Zack Snyder's Justice League Dolby Vision mp4 with the Italian E-AC3 track when I found a strange issue... the English movie contains one H265 video track only... :?

How can this be?

Mediainfo still confirms it is actually a DV mp4, but I can't mux it if it doesn't contain two video tracks right?
it is a single layer profile 5 dolby vision from streaming services and it's very different from the dual layer dolby vision you find on bluray discs.

you can add external audio by doing this:

MKV:
1-remux the mp4 with mkvtoolnix (add external audio/subs).
2- import the mkv into the latest makemkv and create a new DV mkv..

TS:

use nightly tsmuxer. (you might have to demux the mp4 first)

MP4:

use mp4box to add external audio.

DaMacFunkin

#4832 Post by DaMacFunkin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:09 am

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:07 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:17 pm
I agree. But I am mostly getting stable Fel/ lossless audio playback on Minix / Ugoos with Fandangos build IF the file has been prepared lastly by the latest Makemkv.
If anything else has touched the file (toolnix etc) then I get resynch sand audio drops.
This player with Kodi is nearly there, but more stabability and colour space issues fixed
I'll try the latest makemkv but on my end, from the 4 mkv movies I tried, kodi is mostly unusable at the moment . Power Rangers / Total Recall / Daughter of Darkness .. Only Doctor Sleep MEL is stable but I think I'm noticing some micro stuttering.

dysprosium wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:29 pm
Apparently, it is an upstream kernel issue from Amlogic. The Minix U22-XJ firmware is in the same boat, so we should be thankful that Ugoos has at least gotten lossless audio passthrough working through Kodi's IEC packer, which Minix have not.

It doesn't look like something Ugoos can fix themselves. If anything, we should be asking them to fix the DV colourspace issue (the DV on/off setting should be able to be toggled for DV content independently from the output bit depth/colourspace settings for SDR/HDR10 content), and working with the maintainers of the Kodi DV build (fandangos, quietvoid) to help them get the FEL stability on par with Exoplayer (which is what Plex is using behind the scenes).
Thank's for the info.

One thing I still don't understand is why bitstreaming of lossy audio also doesn't work and why 2 times, I got it to bitstream lossy eac3 atmos(profile 5 ts) and AC3 5.1 with a different movie (power rangers dv mkv). Then in both case after stopping playback , I couldn't reproduce it.
Not sure if this relevant but even though I turned cec off on this machine I still had to place a cec filter on the hdmi, I also have the same set up with my Zidoo Z9X but since I introduced the Minix / Ugoos I have to physically cut the power to the Zidoo (even though it has a cec filter also) or my Denon wont switch on and off and everything acts glitchy, resynchs, won’t turn off etc...

Big-rome

#4833 Post by Big-rome » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:46 am

It was fun testing but not even Dolby vision can make me want to use android. Back to CoreELEC and hopefully something materialize soon.

Cr4z33

#4834 Post by Cr4z33 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:38 am

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:11 pm
Cr4z33 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:59 pm
I wanted to mux Zack Snyder's Justice League Dolby Vision mp4 with the Italian E-AC3 track when I found a strange issue... the English movie contains one H265 video track only... :?

How can this be?

Mediainfo still confirms it is actually a DV mp4, but I can't mux it if it doesn't contain two video tracks right?
it is a single layer profile 5 dolby vision from streaming services and it's very different from the dual layer dolby vision you find on bluray discs.

you can add external audio by doing this:

MKV:
1-remux the mp4 with mkvtoolnix (add external audio/subs).
2- import the mkv into the latest makemkv and create a new DV mkv..

TS:

use nightly tsmuxer. (you might have to demux the mp4 first)

MP4:

use mp4box to add external audio.
Thanks mate, but then will Dolby Vision still be there or will it become a normal HDR movie? :)
Nvidia Shield TV Pro -> DENON AVR-X2200W -> LG OLED65GX6

RESET_9999

#4835 Post by RESET_9999 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:07 am

Cr4z33 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:38 am
Thanks mate, but then will Dolby Vision still be there or will it become a normal HDR movie? :)
Of course, DV will be there, profile 5 is not compatible with HDR10 unless your player is able to tonemap it. You just have to choose the right container according to your playback device.

Cr4z33

#4836 Post by Cr4z33 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:17 am

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:07 am
Of course, DV will be there, profile 5 is not compatible with HDR10 unless your player is able to tonemap it. You just have to choose the right container according to your playback device.
Thanks!
Nvidia Shield TV Pro -> DENON AVR-X2200W -> LG OLED65GX6

norrellmeister

#4837 Post by norrellmeister » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:37 pm

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:07 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:17 pm
I agree. But I am mostly getting stable Fel/ lossless audio playback on Minix / Ugoos with Fandangos build IF the file has been prepared lastly by the latest Makemkv.
If anything else has touched the file (toolnix etc) then I get resynch sand audio drops.
This player with Kodi is nearly there, but more stabability and colour space issues fixed
I'll try the latest makemkv but on my end, from the 4 mkv movies I tried, kodi is mostly unusable at the moment . Power Rangers / Total Recall / Daughter of Darkness .. Only Doctor Sleep MEL is stable but I think I'm noticing some micro stuttering.

dysprosium wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:29 pm
Apparently, it is an upstream kernel issue from Amlogic. The Minix U22-XJ firmware is in the same boat, so we should be thankful that Ugoos has at least gotten lossless audio passthrough working through Kodi's IEC packer, which Minix have not.

It doesn't look like something Ugoos can fix themselves. If anything, we should be asking them to fix the DV colourspace issue (the DV on/off setting should be able to be toggled for DV content independently from the output bit depth/colourspace settings for SDR/HDR10 content), and working with the maintainers of the Kodi DV build (fandangos, quietvoid) to help them get the FEL stability on par with Exoplayer (which is what Plex is using behind the scenes).
Thank's for the info.

One thing I still don't understand is why bitstreaming of lossy audio also doesn't work and why 2 times, I got it to bitstream lossy eac3 atmos(profile 5 ts) and AC3 5.1 with a different movie (power rangers dv mkv). Then in both case after stopping playback , I couldn't reproduce it.
I agree. While there might be an issue with TrueHD or other lossless audio from the amlogic side, DD and DD+ (AC3) should still be able to bitstream. The fact that they aren’t tells me that something is still up on the Ugoos side, or the Plex side.

My Ugoos is coming in Thursday so I’ll report back with my experience playing FEL MKVs via Plex, which is my preferred system.

DaMacFunkin

#4838 Post by DaMacFunkin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:55 am

I reported this to Ugoos, they replied to check what version firmware I was on (0.4.0).

At least I’ve had a reply. Overall I’m happy with the Dolby Vision / TrueHD performance as long as the files are ripped correctly, hope they can fix the colour space issue for SD/HDR10.

bedders

#4839 Post by bedders » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:07 am

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:55 am
I reported this to Ugoos, they replied to check what version firmware I was on (0.4.0).

At least I’ve had a reply. Overall I’m happy with the Dolby Vision / TrueHD performance as long as the files are ripped correctly, hope they can fix the colour space issue for SD/HDR10.
What display do you have hooked up to the Ugoos? If Panasonic OLED.. can you please check your Dolby Vision settings what options you have. Thanks

DaMacFunkin

#4840 Post by DaMacFunkin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:11 pm

bedders wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:07 am
DaMacFunkin wrote:

What display do you have hooked up to the Ugoos? If Panasonic OLED.. can you please check your Dolby Vision settings what options you have. Thanks
Hi, it’s a LG, the problem will be you rPanasonic eidid isn’t advertising itself as TV-led compatible.
I had a similar thing last year and LG released a firmware update, you should contact Panasonic.

DaMacFunkin

#4841 Post by DaMacFunkin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:12 pm

DaMacFunkin wrote:

I have had a rely from Ugoos advising HD passthrough audio should work in Plex with 0.4.0 firmware.
They have asked me to do a factory reset then reinstall Plex, I won’t get a chance to look at this for a few days due to work.

Anybody else like to try it?

bobbymkV

#4842 Post by bobbymkV » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:31 pm

Mine just cleared customs, so hopefully it will be here before the weekend and I can join in on the tests.

RESET_9999

#4843 Post by RESET_9999 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:09 pm

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:12 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:

I have had a rely from Ugoos advising HD passthrough audio should work in Plex with 0.4.0 firmware.
They have asked me to do a factory reset then reinstall Plex, I won’t get a chance to look at this for a few days due to work.

do we have to download a special beta build? where? because on their website, the latest firmware is: ''Android 9 firmware V0.3.9.1 for Ugoos AM6 Family'' ... they didn't respond to my email...
I'm not sure which version my ugoos is running on but when I try to update it says the device is up to date. Also did the factory reset and plex still does not bitstream any audio format (lossy or lossless).

I really hope they make it work, I prefer PLEX over kodi in my experience.

bobbymkV

#4844 Post by bobbymkV » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:28 pm

RESET_9999 wrote:
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:12 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:

do we have to download a special beta build? where? because on their website, the latest firmware is: ''Android 9 firmware V0.3.9.1 for Ugoos AM6 Family'' ... they didn't respond to my email...
I'm not sure which version my ugoos is running on but when I try to update it says the device is up to date. Also did the factory reset and plex still does not bitstream any audio format (lossy or lossless).

I really hope they make it work, I prefer PLEX over kodi in my experience.
https://ugoos.com/rc-firmware-update-v0 ... -x3-models

RESET_9999

#4845 Post by RESET_9999 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:46 pm

ha, thank you.

so it looks like I did all my testing on the older/official firmware.

EDIT:

Updated my device firmware and it doesn't change anything... same behavior for everything...
plex still doesn't bitstream any audio and still send HDR10 in 8bit.