Problem Reading Larger UHD Discs? UH12NS40

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
brownSys

Problem Reading Larger UHD Discs? UH12NS40

Post by brownSys »

I've got two UHD disc, "Transformers The last Knight" and "Goodfellas" that both refuse to backup the full disc but will back up part of it (10-30Gb worth). Both discs do not appear to have any scratches or smudges. They are absolutely flawless. Goodfellas was actually pulled out of the package new and put in the drive.

I have two disc drives for reading these, they are both the same model ("UH12NS40 1.00") and they both behave the same way with Transformers and Goodfellas.

I've got a dozen or so other UHD disc that have no problem. One thing I noticed with all of the ones that worked fine is the size of the main movie is 50-60Gb (at least I think all of them were). However, the two that won't work are both 89.xGb, which I assume might mean it is a dual layer disc? Could this be the reason for my trouble? I suspect that maybe my drives don't support dual layer or there is some other issue common to these two discs that my drives don't like. Can anyone confirm?

I'm trying to determine if these discs are bad or if there is something else in the mix. Hopefully I can get to my buddies house soon and test these on his xbox one but I'm not sure when that might be.

Thanks!
dcoke22

Re: Problem Reading Larger UHD Discs? UH12NS40

Post by dcoke22 »

When you put a disc into your reader and MakeMKV acknowledges it in the drive but before you tell MakeMKV to do something with it… MakeMKV will tell you how many layers the disc has.
layers.jpg
layers.jpg (53.59 KiB) Viewed 9518 times
3 layer discs are often problematic, regardless of the player or firmware. Gently clean the disc, since even brand new discs can pick up a nearly invisible film either during the manufacturing process or from off-gassing while in the case.
brownSys

Post by brownSys »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:35 am
When you put a disc into your reader and MakeMKV acknowledges it in the drive but before you tell MakeMKV to do something with it… MakeMKV will tell you how many layers the disc has.
layers.jpg

3 layer discs are often problematic, regardless of the player or firmware. Gently clean the disc, since even brand new discs can pick up a nearly invisible film either during the manufacturing process or from off-gassing while in the case.
Thanks for the info. I can confirm that both discs are 3 layers. I've cleaned the discs multiple times now taking special care to inspect the disc very closely but I'm still unable to complete a backup. Goodfellas fails at around the same spot each time but not on exactly the same "offset" with the message "Backup done but 1 files failed hash check" and this error in the output, "Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00030.m2ts' at offset '20240658432'".

Transformers has the same error reported 4 times but finishes with the message, "Operation successfully completed". However, when I go to view the main feature file it is only 11Gb and doesn't play.

Would it be fair to assume that a different optical drive may handle these 3 layer discs better or am I to assume that this discs are damaged beyond reading?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Rip errors: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055

If you still have a return window on the discs, you can try that. The recent 4k release of Game of Thrones was a real headache for some people. I have two different drives just to increase the chances that I can read difficult discs.
brownSys

Post by brownSys »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:17 pm
Rip errors: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055

If you still have a return window on the discs, you can try that. The recent 4k release of Game of Thrones was a real headache for some people. I have two different drives just to increase the chances that I can read difficult discs.
Thanks! I can't return transformers. While I can return Goodfellas it is getting so hard to find this movie that I wouldn't be able to find a replacement at a reasonable price. That's why I'd really like to find out if it's a defective disc or a problem with my drives ability to read it. I guess I need to get another drive that is different so I can have a wider testing range. I'm thinking an ASUS drive may be the best idea since I already have two LG's. Would you be able to make a recommendation?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

UHD Drives Guide: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

I have an LG WH16NS60 and an ASUS BW-16D1HT. Plenty of folks on this forum speak highly of the LG BU40N slim drive. The drives guide also lists some folks who sell drives already tested and flashed with the correct firmware. In my view, paying a few extra dollars for someone to flash and test the drive is worth it, but doing it yourself is fine too. One of my drives I did myself and one I bought from a seller.

The dirty little secret is, generally speaking, for most modern desktop drives all the innards are the same; just the firmware and silkscreened logos are different. I think it is LG that makes most of them. I can't speak to the specifics of your model, but the Drives Guide talks about cross flashing in some situations. Someone like MartyMcNuts or Billycar11 know a whole lot more about this topic than I do. Hopefully one of them will chime in.
brownSys

Post by brownSys »

Thank you. That helps a lot!

I was able to get access to an Xbox one with UHD drive today and I tested Goodfellas. I didn't watch it minute for minute but we went to the part where it seems to have problems and it played fine. I then spot checked through the rest of the movie and didn't see any issues. This would seem to indicate to me that the disc isn't completely defective, it may have a spot that is more difficult to read or it may be that my drive just has a hard time with 3 layer discs. Looks like I'll be keeping it and shopping for another drive.
charnathan

Post by charnathan »

Did you ever find a solution for this brownSys?

I've come across this rarely, but it seems to happen with 100 GB discs. The first time it happened was Transformers The Last Knight. And it's now happening with John Wick Chapter 2.

Eventually, my drive was able to get Transformers to mount so I can back it up. But, I'm not having a lot of luck with John Wick. Although, I did have two instances where it looked like John Wick mounted, but windows explorer and makemkv just hung up.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

charnathan wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:02 pm
Did you ever find a solution for this brownSys?

I've come across this rarely, but it seems to happen with 100 GB discs. The first time it happened was Transformers The Last Knight. And it's now happening with John Wick Chapter 2.

Eventually, my drive was able to get Transformers to mount so I can back it up. But, I'm not having a lot of luck with John Wick. Although, I did have two instances where it looked like John Wick mounted, but windows explorer and makemkv just hung up.
Your issue is the disc or the drive try cleaning the discs and the laser if that does not help replace the drive I recommend a pioneer
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
charnathan

Post by charnathan »

How do I clean the laser @Billycar11?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

charnathan wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:02 pm
How do I clean the laser @Billycar11?
the way i recommend is to take the drive apart those cleaning discs are pretty much useless.
did it just the other day and saved an old pioneer that would not see UHD after cleaning works fine now.
the way to take apart most optical drives is

eject the tray
unplug it
pop off the bezel with some plastic spudger by pushing in the clips
then move the bezel forward away from body of drive
undo the screws on the bottom
pop off both metal top and bottom covers there may be some clips depends on drive lg has no clips some pioneers do. put bottom back on and rest it on that
now clean the lens with a lint free micro fiber cloth and dry with another be very gentle the laser is kinda free floating.
feel free while your in there to replace the door belt if its cracked or slipping and use silicone paste for door slider gear mechanism if it needs it.
then just put it back together
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com