Re: Exhausted....Black Hawk Down

Post by bnormal1 »

thanks simon...i'll try that tomorrow.
recordplay

Post by recordplay »

simon_ldt wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:23 pm
Managed to rip both Black Hawk Down and Fury today. Only change I made was to manually go into the registry and change the drive speed to 2x for all triple layer discs.

Took a good 2 hrs for each disc but it got done with no errors.

Might be worth a try.
how do you do that?
simon_ldt

Post by simon_ldt »

recordplay wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:50 am
simon_ldt wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:23 pm
Managed to rip both Black Hawk Down and Fury today. Only change I made was to manually go into the registry and change the drive speed to 2x for all triple layer discs.

Took a good 2 hrs for each disc but it got done with no errors.

Might be worth a try.
how do you do that?
See here: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 689#p93349

Mine currently set to 0=40;U3=8

If you set the 0=99 it will go full speed your drive will do, but I found that while it's much quicker (especially on normal blu-rays which were only taking 20min per 45gb at x12 speed) it sometimes throws up errors. I personally think that reading the data that fast is not always good (the discs I had that failed hash checks, I ripped again 1st time at the slower speed)

At 0=40 I get around 8x speed which is a good compromise.

I now only rip 100gb discs at U3=16, which gives me approx x5 speed and takes around 80-90 min per disc. I'm having much more success that way. I only drop to U3=8 if it fails the 1st time.
bnormal1

Post by bnormal1 »

dcoke22, if MakeMKV fails to detect a disc in the drive does that mean errors on the inside edge are the reason for the initial failure? On these discs a "watermark" appears in the smooth area of the inside edge....is data read from that area? Is the data that MakeMKV first tries to read outside of the clear area in the first "spiral" lines on the disc? Does any of this make sense?

I'm trying to rip Deepwater Horizons, cleaned a few times and the disc appears to have no scratches/blemishes, but MakeMKV doesn't even see the disc. Should I concentrate on inspecting the inner edge of the disc before taking a 12-gauge and steel wool to it? Kidding...just getting real fed up....last 2 discs, Deepwater horizons and schindlers list are no go as well as the original bastige...black hawk down.

thanks
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I do not think any data is stored on or read from the inner ring or the extreme outside edge of a disc.

I don't know why your drive isn't recognizing a particular disc. The internet is full of a lot of theories including a dirty lens, a misaligned laser head, an out-of-spec disc, and countless other ideas. Most posts on this topic conclude with something to the effect of replace the drive or the disc. I believe your drive works with some other discs, so it isn't completely dead (maybe it is just shagged out after a long rip).

Personally, I've experienced occasional difficulties reading UHDs on my drive (WH16NS60) that were mostly overcome by using a friend's drive. I recently added a second drive (BW-16D1HT) to my system to have my own backup. This setup gives me a second chance for things to work.
bnormal1

Post by bnormal1 »

I have 2 WH16NS40 drives installed. I just ripped John Wick 2 and 3 on Saturday, both of which are triple layer discs. Maybe just bad luck with the copies I got of Deepwater Horizon and Schindlers list. I bought them both at the best place to buy...stuposedly they are new....

I've tried different fw's and currently have loaded mk WH16NS60 1.02 on both drives...tried different versions of MakeMKV and back to 1.15.3.

Neither drive is seeing the Deepwater disc. The eject button on the drives are getting stretch marks. Actually, I'm so lazy that I click on the eject button in MakeMKV and I found a powershell file onlilne that closes the drive tray...I'm old.

I did remove the drives today and cleaned the lenses again...and just to be sure inserted one of the John Wick discs and the drives see it fine. I'm running out of ideas....
bnormal1

Post by bnormal1 »

Uh....100th times a charm...

Yep, got Deepwater Horizons to rip...what did I do...no idea...ok, here's what I did do that MIGHT have made a difference.

The motherboard in my computer is an Asus which has 6 Intel SATA ports and I think 4 Asmedia ports. I had the 6 hd's on the intel and the 2 cd drives on the asmedia ports. I've read that you don't want to have the hd's on the asmedia ports (cause they suck?) and just put the cd drives on them.

So last night I thought, 'what the heck'...shut down the system and swapped the 2 cd drives to intel ports. Tried ripping...no go. Earlier, I did go out and purchase a new microfiber cloth...

Got up this morning and stuck the disc in and...it started reading it...but errored after it ripped about 1.8gb's. So I did what any sane person would do. Opened the cd drive trays...turned the system off and grabbed my hair dryer and using the coldest setting blew air into the cd drives through the open trays.

After a couple of times erroring out the farken bastige finally read the whole thing...Last 5 minutes felt like an eternity. I've had 4 heart attacks...don't want the 5th to happen because of ripping errors...

One thing...after it read the drive the first time and I got to the makemkv screen to choose what i wanted to rip just as i placed the cursor over the selection the whole contents disappeared and went back to the "no disc" screen...wtf is that about...This kinda sounds like a Win 8.1 problem....
couldn't find anything doing a search other than a drive disappearing from makemkv.

I never thought I was superstitious...until I started trying to rip triple layer discs...Now, I'm only allowed to play on line solitaire as it's ripping...

Another thing I did do differently was to just select the main feature and didn't unselect any of the audio or subtitle options...just let it rip whatever was found...Of course, I didn't select any of the other features on the disc...which I rarely do anyway...Will remove the things I don't want other than the Atmos audio and the chapters using mkvtoolnix.

I'm done...at least until I get my Schindlers List replacement copy in the mail...Thanks!
bnormal1

Post by bnormal1 »

Numerous tries before Schindlers List finally worked. Not sure what I did that made it finally work. Cleaned numerous times, different fw's, different drives, Atmos/no Atmos, video and no audio...it all errored out...Choosing subtitles and Atmos and it just decided to finally rip.

When it finaly worked I was running Handbrake for 2 tv shows...Can't imagine why that would make a difference...of course, Handbrake is a cpu hog so maybe win 8.1 said, "forget about makemkv and lets concentrate on Handbrake"...don't think that's how things work.

Thankfully, there are only a few 4k movies currently out that I'd consider purchasing...Because this is a major pain in the ass!

tbanks
bnormal1

Post by bnormal1 »

Well I'll be dipped in shit....FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After cleaning Black Hawk Down 4k disc numerous times, changing the fw's multiple times on the 2 WH16NS40 drives...and giving up and saying the heck with it numerous times I was finally was able to rip the disc with the Atmos audio selected on both versions!

I had previously ripped the extended version of the movie with the DTS-HD track but could never the Atmos track.

However, this morning I was reading a post from someone who had the WH16NS40 drive and wondered which firmware to install since they had the original fw that worked for uhd discs. Well, BillyCar11 said keep the current fw but if you install the WH16NS60 1.02mk firmware it will rip faster and alleviate the "sleep bug".

Hmmmm...the sleep bug...how many times while ripping this disc did I see time out errors? zillions of times. So I installed the WH16NS60 1.02mk firmware and what do you know...ripped with no errors and actually hit 8.0x on the speedometer!

Thanks to you BillyCar11!