Is 24p possible?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
patseguin

Is 24p possible?

Post by patseguin »

I use XBMC for my media playing and I use MakeMKV for a lot of my ripping of blu rays. I just remembered last night that my blu ray player and TV support 24p. Does MakeMKV have a way to rip in 24p format and is there any benefit picture quality-wise?
Woodstock

Re: Is 24p possible?

Post by Woodstock »

Not sure what "24p" is...

MakeMKV is not going to change the characteristics of the video from what is on the DVD or Bluray. If you want to change it (resize or adjust frame rates), you need other tools.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
trumpet205

Post by trumpet205 »

I think he/she meant 24 (23.976) progressive frames per seconds.

MakeMKV does not re-encode the video. It makes no changes to the video other than decrypting and copying it to your hard drive.

You will have to configure your PC to output 23.976 fps.
patseguin

Post by patseguin »

trumpet205 wrote:I think he/she meant 24 (23.976) progressive frames per seconds.

MakeMKV does not re-encode the video. It makes no changes to the video other than decrypting and copying it to your hard drive.

You will have to configure your PC to output 23.976 fps.
It's he. :-) I thought a lot of blu rays were 24p because my blu ray player switches my TV to 24p and the picture quality is stunning. I just wondered if I could rip with the same 24p framerate so that my media player (XBMC) would play it like that.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The video itself will be the same frame rate as the BD had. Your hardware and software will determine what happens after that.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
trumpet205

Post by trumpet205 »

Frame rate itself should have nothing to do with picture quality. They only affect how smooth the motion is from the video.

Now, just like different video encoders can yield different quality even when dealing with same video codec, the reverse is also true for video decoding. Different Blu-ray players or video software can produce slight variation among themselves, even when dealing with the same video.