Movies2MKV Converter

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
rc4ester

Re: Movies2MKV Converter

Post by rc4ester »

gerritv wrote:I am about to test your .NET version. First observation is that it doesn't allow network paths, e.g. \\server. I will install on my 2012 R2 Essentials server and go from there.

Thanks for developing this, I have a lot of movies to convert to .mkv

Great! Let me know if conversions go alright. I'll see what I can do about the network paths. As a temporary fix, you could map your remote drive.
gerritv

Post by gerritv »

Some observations:
1. I have > 1000 movie folders, the way the list is redrawn is very inefficient. Your method redraws the gridview for each line added. I use a datagridview in my application, set it to double buffered for update speed. See https://github.com/gerritv/Grbl-Panel/b ... odeView.vb for an example. You can also use dgv.Refresh() with a line count of your displayed rows to limit the refresh impact.

2. A way to cancel scanning would be great, I have to wait for the whole list to be scanned by MakeMkv before I can try converting a movie.

3. The output directory structure seems strange. E.g. the source .iso is in dirA, the output .mkv goes to dirA/dirA which seems an unnecessary extra level.

I would be happy to help optimize your code, I overcame a lot of challenges in my GrblPanel application, it required very fast response times when running laser etchers. I had lots of complaints that my gui was slowing the machine down :-(

Gerrit
gerritv

Post by gerritv »

For now I have mapped a drive to the server folder. And I edited the user.config file after loading several hundred movies.

In <setting name="Batch" I used a regular expression to find the first part of the OutputFileName path and then deleted that first path. The regex is OutputFileName":"Z:\\\\[\w\s]*, replace is OutputFileName":"Z:

Things appear to be working fine.
gerritv

Post by gerritv »

After processing a considerable number of movies I decided to try something else. In Settings/Output folder I set the root directory of my movies instead of the default of check box ticked. This results in Movies2MKV not adding the extra level of directory, it just adds an extra / which is benign.
ekorshin001

Post by ekorshin001 »

I am having trouble getting the .net application to launch on windows 7 ultimate. I have makeMKV installed.

Any help would be great.
paratschonk

Post by paratschonk »

Testing the new version for Windows, the application returns the following error when trying to find movies: "There was a problem starting the find movie process. Please check event log for more details."

So I checked the Windows event log, and it states this message for Movies2MKV Converter:

The executable for MakeMKV could not be found!
bei M2M.POCO.Threads.FindMovies..ctor(OptionValues options, String searchDirectoryPath, Int32 noConcurrentProcesses) in c:\Users\Richard\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\m2mbeans\m2mbeans\Threads\FindMovies.cs:Zeile 188.
bei M2M.MainWindow.findMoviesBtn_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\Users\Richard\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Movies2MKV Converter\Movies2MKV Converter\MainWindow.cs:Zeile 1049.

Any ideas how to get it working on Windows 10 x64?
xportz

Post by xportz »

This is a really great tool. Thank you. One problem: the application seems to stop going through the queue after a conversion has failed. And conversion seems to fail on Blu-Rays with seamless branching. So maybe 1 out of 10 movies.

Is there any way to set up Movies2MKV to just keep on converting even if one has failed? That would save me from having to babysit the application.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

paratschonk wrote:Testing the new version for Windows, the application returns the following error when trying to find movies: "There was a problem starting the find movie process. Please check event log for more details."

So I checked the Windows event log, and it states this message for Movies2MKV Converter:

The executable for MakeMKV could not be found!
bei M2M.POCO.Threads.FindMovies..ctor(OptionValues options, String searchDirectoryPath, Int32 noConcurrentProcesses) in c:\Users\Richard\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\m2mbeans\m2mbeans\Threads\FindMovies.cs:Zeile 188.
bei M2M.MainWindow.findMoviesBtn_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\Users\Richard\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Movies2MKV Converter\Movies2MKV Converter\MainWindow.cs:Zeile 1049.

Any ideas how to get it working on Windows 10 x64?
I'm really sorry I have been absent for quite some time. I recently updated the application a little. I am in the works of creating a newer version that should hopefully be much quicker. I will update my main post to reflect the changes. Your error above appears to be that you don't have makemkv downloaded and installed. My application should be looking for it in the registry.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

xportz wrote:This is a really great tool. Thank you. One problem: the application seems to stop going through the queue after a conversion has failed. And conversion seems to fail on Blu-Rays with seamless branching. So maybe 1 out of 10 movies.

Is there any way to set up Movies2MKV to just keep on converting even if one has failed? That would save me from having to babysit the application.
That's an odd problem, it should be continuing after failing on a conversion. Could you please let me know what it failed on from the event log source
amackdaddy

Post by amackdaddy »

After the conversion the video_ts folder doesn't delete.

from the log file
Error marking conversion file[G:\G_MKV_Dump\Movie\Movie.mkv] completed:

Access to the path 'VIDEO_TS.BUP' is denied.
at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound)
at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.Delete(Boolean recursive)
at M2M.MainWindow.ConversionHasCompletedHandler(Object sender, EventConversionCompletedArgs e)

I can delete it manually but the program can't? Rights issue or something else? This happens for 99% of the movies converted. The very few that do delete I can't see any thing different.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

amackdaddy wrote:After the conversion the video_ts folder doesn't delete.

from the log file

at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound)
at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
at M2M.MainWindow.ConversionHasCompletedHandler(Object sender, EventConversionCompletedArgs e)

I can delete it manually but the program can't? Rights issue or something else? This happens for 99% of the movies converted. The very few that do delete I can't see any thing different.
That does sound like a permissions issue. Just out of curiosity, have you tried to run as administrator for the application?
amackdaddy

Post by amackdaddy »

rc4ester wrote:

from the log file

That does sound like a permissions issue. Just out of curiosity, have you tried to run as administrator for the application?
I did both right click run as admin and run as other user. Though all my users are administrator. This is Win7 x64.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

amackdaddy wrote:
rc4ester wrote:

from the log file

What version are you using... I have a new version that may be working a little better. I'm currently at version 2.5.10

I did both right click run as admin and run as other user. Though all my users are administrator. This is Win7 x64.
amackdaddy

Post by amackdaddy »

I missed the part about the version. I am running 2.5.10 as well.
rc4ester

Post by rc4ester »

amackdaddy wrote:I missed the part about the version. I am running 2.5.10 as well.
I'll take a look and see if I can figure out why it's failing to delete the directory.