Operation 'success' but no output file when ripping DVD?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
jvanns

Operation 'success' but no output file when ripping DVD?

Post by jvanns »

Sorry for the cross-posting but someone must know the solution to this problem. I would hardly call this 'advanced' but seeing as it concerns the CLI to MakeMKV, I thought I'd try here too;

Hi. This seems like a bit of an odd one but it appears that with DVDs, makemkvcon does not actually write any output file when I specify a title! This is when in 'copy' mode ala 'makemkvcon mkv'. For example, I have the box set of Jeeves and Wooster and I wish to rip episode 2 from the disc which is title 5 (according to the Apple OS X player and confirmed with Handbrake). I specify title 5 and although no error is printed to the screen and makemkvcon tells me 'Operation successful' it does not say 'Saving 1 files to disc' or whatever and sure enough there is no file! But no error message or error code returned to the shell either! What gives!? It seems to just ignore the title number I've given it? Does it ignore it due to some rule perhaps? Whats more is that title 4 (episode 1 following from the above example) is ripped fine and the output file is there. makemkvcon doesn't expect the directory to be empty or something silly does it!?

Any hints for me to fix this? I can't confirm whether this is specific to DVDs or whether Blurays are affected in the same way.
ndjamena

Re: Operation 'success' but no output file when ripping DVD?

Post by ndjamena »

Have you tried ripping titles 1 to 3, or 6+. It might give you some clues. Or you could try ripping a Title that you KNOW doesn't exist, and compare the output.

There might be something wrong with the disk.

You seem to be implying that this problem affects all DVDs, have you discovered the same problem on other discs?
jvanns

Re: Operation 'success' but no output file when ripping DVD?

Post by jvanns »

I hadn't meant to imply it happens to *all* DVDS but it does happen to many. I haven't yet been able to identify a pattern. It seems to happen on film DVDs with just 1 main title as well as on TV show DVDs where I wish to rip multiple titles.

It identifies the length of the title correctly (say 50 minutes or 2 hours) but then doesn't proceed to copy it to disc :(
I can't give more info at the moment as I am not home. I'll try and post some output later.