Node-MakeMKV: The Missing Web UI For MakeMKV

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
lightsabersetc

Node-MakeMKV: The Missing Web UI For MakeMKV

Post by lightsabersetc »

I created a wrapper around makemkvcon that allows for a MakeMKV Web UI. The app is definitely rough around the edges at this point, but has already saved me a decent amount of headaches so I will post it here.

Features Include:
* Folder name normalization
* Client/Server architecture
* Multiprocessing to allow simultaneous operations
* Server side caching so that one client can pick up where another left off
* Supports ripping from directories & images located on server
* Semi-auto title selection (not perfect by any means :cry:)

Planned Features:
* Track (video, audio, subtitle) selection
* Unified status console
* Scanning/ripping progress indicators

The app and instructions are located on my blog (check my signature for the link - current version is v0.1.0-beta). It requires Node.js, and CoffeeScript.

Let me know if you run into any bugs, or have questions regarding usage. I'm not exactly the best tech doc writer, so I'm sure I missed some things. Feature requests are also welcomed!
Last edited by lightsabersetc on Wed May 21, 2014 3:23 am, edited 10 times in total.
crowfax

Re: Headless MakeMKV GUI (Python, client/server)

Post by crowfax »

Awesome work!
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
lightsabersetc

Re: Headless MakeMKV GUI (Python, client/server)

Post by lightsabersetc »

I actually just integrated a name normalization script that I've been working on too...just some simple stuff like Title casing, breaking seasons/discs/episodes into a standardized format, and some other random things that tend to bug me with DVD/BDR names. Let me know if you have any suggestions; this is definitely a work in progress!
lightsabersetc

Re: Remote-MakeMkv: makemkvcon GUI for headless server

Post by lightsabersetc »

I just finished up with the somewhat final GUI, which looks very similar to multiple instances of MakeMKV. I replaced the screenshot above, and tagged the 0.31 release for download at http://code.google.com/p/remote-makemkv/downloads/list. There's still a lot to do, but at least the GUI isn't just a bunch of checkboxes with variable information dumped into them :wink:
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

This looks really cool! Thanks for sharing with us. I'm gonna give it a try real soon.
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
lightsabersetc

Post by lightsabersetc »

No problem; I'm just happy to see that I'm not the only one crazy enough to need something like this! Let me know if you have any questions with the install, my instructions leave a lot to be desired at this point :wink:
snickers2k

Post by snickers2k »

great job!

but a tutorial would be really helpful.
dont know really where to put the files. and i'm getting an error "ImportError: No module named video_renaming.rename" on the client side. while the server side is saying "waiting for clients". so i hope the server works.

btw. a webUI isn't possible or? :/
lightsabersetc

Post by lightsabersetc »

Sorry I didn't see this reply earlier, I must not have set my notification settings correctly. I wrote a tutorial on my blog that should help out.

To touch on the Web UI side of things, yes it is possible, and I am currently working on it (although in Node.js instead of Python). Below is a picture of what I've got so far, the repo is also on my blog if you would like to expand upon the source.

cleric

Post by cleric »

hi - great work - any news to the node.js server?
lightsabersetc

Post by lightsabersetc »

Hi, yes actually there is! I completed my first few successful rips, and am just polishing a few things up. Stay tuned - I expect to release a beta within the next week or two :D
Bahndit

Re: Node-MakeMKV: The Missing Web UI For MakeMKV

Post by Bahndit »

Looks pretty cool! Any updates?
lightsabersetc

Post by lightsabersetc »

I haven't made any updates for a while, but there is a very solid beta right now.

The best way to stay up to date with the project would be to watch it on GitHub - https://github.com/dlasley/node-makemkv

For some reason, I don't get the emails from this forum; so the best way to request features would be to open an issue on the above GitHub :)
raverdave2k

Post by raverdave2k »

Is this still a viable option? I'm trying to install it on an Ubuntu 18.04 server but I had all sorts of issues installing but finally got to the stage of trying to run and I'm getting this error.

Code: Select all

Error: Cannot find module '/home/dave/temp/node_modules/udev/build/node-v88-linux-x64/udev.node'
I then tried 'sudo npm install -g udev' it runs for a wall and then gives me many pages of output with ERR at the start of pretty much every line. The tail end of which is:

Code: Select all

npm ERR! ../udev.cc:290:1: note: in expansion of macro ‘NODE_MODULE’
npm ERR!  NODE_MODULE(udev, Init)
npm ERR!  ^~~~~~~~~~~
npm ERR! In file included from ../node_modules/nan/nan.h:52:0,
npm ERR!                  from ../udev.cc:2:
npm ERR! /root/.cache/node-gyp/15.2.0/include/node/node.h:229:22: note:   ‘node::Init’
npm ERR!      NODE_EXTERN void Init(int* argc,
npm ERR!                       ^
npm ERR! /root/.cache/node-gyp/15.2.0/include/node/node.h:101:42: note: in definition of macro ‘NODE_DEPRECATED’
npm ERR!      __attribute__((deprecated(message))) declarator
npm ERR!                                           ^~~~~~~~~~
npm ERR! make: *** [Release/obj.target/udev/udev.o] Error 1
npm ERR! gyp ERR! build error
npm ERR! gyp ERR! stack Error: `make` failed with exit code: 2
npm ERR! gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.onExit (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:194:23)
npm ERR! gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:329:20)
npm ERR! gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (node:internal/child_process:277:12)
npm ERR! gyp ERR! System Linux 4.15.0-117-generic
npm ERR! gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "build" "--fallback-to-build" "--module=/usr/lib/node_modules/udev/build/node-v88-linux-x64/udev.node" "--module_name=udev" "--module_path=/usr/lib/node_modules/udev/build/node-v88-linux-x64" "--napi_version=7" "--node_abi_napi=napi" "--napi_build_version=0" "--node_napi_label=node-v88"
npm ERR! gyp ERR! cwd /usr/lib/node_modules/udev
npm ERR! gyp ERR! node -v v15.2.0
npm ERR! gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v7.1.2
npm ERR! gyp ERR! not ok
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp ERR! build error
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute '/usr/bin/node /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js build --fallback-to-build --module=/usr/lib/node_modules/udev/build/node-v88-linux-x64/udev.node --module_name=udev --module_path=/usr/lib/node_modules/udev/build/node-v88-linux-x64 --napi_version=7 --node_abi_napi=napi --napi_build_version=0 --node_napi_label=node-v88' (1)
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/node_modules/udev/node_modules/node-pre-gyp/lib/util/compile.js:83:29)
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:329:20)
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at maybeClose (node:internal/child_process:1055:16)
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (node:internal/child_process:288:5)
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp ERR! System Linux 4.15.0-117-generic
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/lib/node_modules/udev/node_modules/.bin/node-pre-gyp" "install" "--fallback-to-build"
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd /usr/lib/node_modules/udev
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v15.2.0
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.11.0
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok