Language selection

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
chbwien

Language selection

Post by chbwien »

I've found the possibility, to select a default language. Using this feature, only this single language is preselected, all others are deselected. The problem is, that I would like to use english + a second language per default. E.g. english and my mother language. Currently I have to go through every title and set this by hand.

It would be so helpful to have the possibility to define two default languages. Maybe for others the best thing would be to have a positive list of languages.

Is there a chance that a future version will have such a feature?

Cu

CHB
mike admin

Re: Language selection

Post by mike admin »

chbwien wrote:I've found the possibility, to select a default language. Using this feature, only this single language is preselected, all others are deselected. The problem is, that I would like to use english + a second language per default. E.g. english and my mother language. Currently I have to go through every title and set this by hand.

It would be so helpful to have the possibility to define two default languages. Maybe for others the best thing would be to have a positive list of languages.

Is there a chance that a future version will have such a feature?
Yes, very likely even in the next version.
dt2510

Post by dt2510 »

will i also have the possibility to tell makemkv what track to use as default audio track ?

example:

audio track 1 (german) and audio track 2 (english) => german track will be default

however some discs have english on audio track 1, so english track will be default and i have to remux the file to swap the audio tracks, taking me nearly as long as creating the mkv itself.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Yes, you will be able to use any complex selection logic with the next version, 1.7.0
_r0lZ

Post by _r0lZ »

Mike, can you explain how to swap the language streams?
Currently, I use this:

Code: Select all

-all,+favlang,+eng,+nolang,-havemulti,-havecore,+core,+forced
(My favlang is French.)

It is indeed possible to select the French and English audio tracks automatically, but they are still in the original order of the DVD: English then French. I would like to swap them, and mark French as Default. Is it possible?

Also, currently, it is possible to specify the language you want to keep, but the same logic is applied to the audio and subtitles tracks. IMO, it should be possible to specify two different methods: one for audio, and one for subs. For example, I would like to add the original English and French audio tracks, plus the French subtitles, but NOT the English subtitles. Again, it is possible?

Third request: I watch many foreign movies, and usually, the original language is at the first position in the list of audio tracks. I want to keep it, plus the French audio track (if any). As far as I know, it is currently not possible to specify that the first track must be selected, regardless of its language code. Or it it? (Adding +1 in the defaultSelection doesn't work and produces an error. Am I doing something wrong?)
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

_r0lZ wrote:Mike, can you explain how to swap the language streams?
Currently, I use this:

Code: Select all

-all,+favlang,+eng,+nolang,-havemulti,-havecore,+core,+forced
(My favlang is French.)

It is indeed possible to select the French and English audio tracks automatically, but they are still in the original order of the DVD: English then French. I would like to swap them, and mark French as Default. Is it possible?
Not right now. This is a popular request to be able to change track order in GUI.
_r0lZ wrote: Also, currently, it is possible to specify the language you want to keep, but the same logic is applied to the audio and subtitles tracks. IMO, it should be possible to specify two different methods: one for audio, and one for subs. For example, I would like to add the original English and French audio tracks, plus the French subtitles, but NOT the English subtitles. Again, it is possible?
Yes, the track settings are per track type. Unfortunately this means that you will have to make a gigantic profile, duplicating entry for each track type (now you edit "default" track).
_r0lZ wrote: Third request: I watch many foreign movies, and usually, the original language is at the first position in the list of audio tracks. I want to keep it, plus the French audio track (if any). As far as I know, it is currently not possible to specify that the first track must be selected, regardless of its language code. Or it it? (Adding +1 in the defaultSelection doesn't work and produces an error. Am I doing something wrong?)
Not possible now. Request noted.
_r0lZ

Post by _r0lZ »

Thanks for the quick reply.
mike admin wrote:
_r0lZ wrote: Also, currently, it is possible to specify the language you want to keep, but the same logic is applied to the audio and subtitles tracks. IMO, it should be possible to specify two different methods: one for audio, and one for subs. For example, I would like to add the original English and French audio tracks, plus the French subtitles, but NOT the English subtitles. Again, it is possible?
Yes, the track settings are per track type. Unfortunately this means that you will have to make a gigantic profile, duplicating entry for each track type (now you edit "default" track).
Can you explain how to define an entry for a specific track type? If I understand correctly, it is not possible to simply duplicate the default profile and rename it "audio" and the copy "subtitles". So, what is the correct syntax for a specific entry?

Thanks also for considering my third request. :-)
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

_r0lZ wrote:Can you explain how to define an entry for a specific track type? If I understand correctly, it is not possible to simply duplicate the default profile and rename it "audio" and the copy "subtitles". So, what is the correct syntax for a specific entry?
All currently supported track types have been listed here:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 712#p18693
celavey

Post by celavey »

Good thing that the only language I use is English and don't have to worry about this matter too much.
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

celavey wrote:Good thing that the only language I use is English and don't have to worry about this matter too much.
It's a shame MakeMKV still wants to think for me. I set English as the preferred language in the settings, and it still decides I don't want any lossless audio or DD 2.0 tracks. Apparently I'm going to have to putz around with profiles to get it to do what I want.

And after four years on the to-do list, it still can't do closed captions :(