Dumb question ?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
georgesgiralt

Dumb question ?

Post by georgesgiralt »

Hi !
I would like to know why it is not possible to extract a Blu-Ray disc into an ISO file in order to save it to storage and/or write it back on a Blu-Ray writable media as one can do for a DVD disc ?
Thanks in advance for enlightening me !
Coopervid

Re: Dumb question ?

Post by Coopervid »

georgesgiralt wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:50 pm
Hi !
I would like to know why it is not possible to extract a Blu-Ray disc into an ISO file in order to save it to storage and/or write it back on a Blu-Ray writable media as one can do for a DVD disc ?
Thanks in advance for enlightening me !
Mike just refuses to add this function. Rip to folder and then use Imgburn to load BDMV and CERTIFICATE and create your ISO.
georgesgiralt

Post by georgesgiralt »

OK. So it is not a so dumb question after all.
Thank you for your answer.
NGr2023

Post by NGr2023 »

In case you are using Linux (or someone who finds this question is), you can use mkisofs.

The syntax is:

Code: Select all

mkisofs -udf -iso-level "3" -input-charset "utf-8" -o <name_of_file_to_create>.iso <source_directory>
EDIT: Sorry, just read your question again. I don't think this method would work for writing back to a disc, it's fine for moving to NAS storage.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I always backup my discs (and keep those backups) and I've wanted the option to create a disc image from Blu-ray and UltraHD discs since I started. I've read that it can be done with ImgBurn if you have LibreDrive active in another window but I can't make it work for some reason.
Coopervid wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:45 pm
~ Rip to folder and then use Imgburn to load BDMV and CERTIFICATE and create your ISO.
The problem is, MakeMKV quite often decides NOT to copy certain files, and yes, these files may not be necessary for MakeMKV to rip from a backup, but I want to store a backup of the whole disc, not just what MakeMKV decides I want.
Coopervid wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:45 pm
Mike just refuses to add this function. ~
As I see it, Mike refuses to add ANY feature requests!

I've made quite a few suggestions that would make my life so much easier but none have ever been implemented. It's sad really, such a great program could be even better with a few minor tweaks.
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

The Backup option does make ISOs for DVDs. This feature was added recently, and was a feature I requested a while back. Before Backup was greyed out for DVDs.