Feature Request: "Messy Rip" Expert Setting

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
freedom4556

Feature Request: "Messy Rip" Expert Setting

Post by freedom4556 »

I'd like to request a "Messy Rip" feature be added to expert mode that will pad out read errors with zeros, allowing the recoverable parts of the file to be saved. The current behavior simply gives up after too many sector errors and deletes the file.

Background: I have begun setting up a Jellyfin server and am ripping my DVD and Blu-ray collection. I have several Blu-rays that are visually immaculate but still generate isolated unrecoverable read errors in a single spot in a random episode. Rather than these files being totally unrecoverable, I'd like to have 1-2 frames of green/no sound and recover the rest of the episode.

Obviously this kind of semi-silent failure should not be default behavior, but it should be GUI-accessible in the "Expert Mode" setting.

Let me know if this is currently achievable with the command line utility as my experience with it is negligible.
freedom4556

Re: Feature Request: "Messy Rip" Expert Setting

Post by freedom4556 »

To clarify, this is the kind of errors I'm seeing:

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00020.m2ts' at offset '1176760320'
Error 'OS error - The I/O device reported an I/O error' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '1176760320'
Error 'OS error - The I/O device reported an I/O error' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '1176760320'
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00020.m2ts' at offset '1176760320'
Failed to save title 6 to file 
A related idea I had, not sure if possible, was to somehow indicate how far the offset is from the center of the disc, to help narrow down the search for imperfections and focus cleaning efforts.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The error messages track with what you'd see if the drive shut down due to power issues, just as MakeMKV started trying to read faster. Generally, MakeMKV reads at the fastest rate it can manage, taking the drive and written location speed, and as you get to certain areas of the disk, the power can run out.

The error will often change with a different rip of the same disk, as the drive doesn't hit the "critical speed" at the same place each time.

If you are experiencing speed issues due to power, you can plug into a powered USB hub and/or use a dual-head cable (the two ports have to have full power available). Alternatively, you can have MakeMKV limit its requests to that drive to keep it under its cut-off speed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
freedom4556

Post by freedom4556 »

This is an internal half-height (5.25") SATA drive, but I will remove the registry values for unlimited speed and try again.

Thanks, for the tip.
freedom4556

Post by freedom4556 »

So the removal of the "max speed" registry settings fixed the disc that was having the hardware timeout errors. However, my feature request still stands for the DVDs and other discs with genuine read errors. It is better to recover some data than none at all.
Mr. Red

Post by Mr. Red »

What happens if you make a full disk backup? Are the damaged files ectracted as is, skipped or does the backup stop completly?
If they are backed up as is you can then extract them from the folder.
GnomeFondler

Post by GnomeFondler »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:06 pm
The error messages track with what you'd see if the drive shut down due to power issues...<snip>
I've also seen these from a loose or defective SATA cable. Something else to check if the unlimited speed thing worked in the past and more recently stopped.