makemkv backup or iso?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
hammer67

makemkv backup or iso?

Post by hammer67 »

I am saving some blu-ray discs to hard drive. I am making an MKV of main title to use on Plex, and was saving an ISO using burnware. But I just discovered that makemkv can do full backups, with or without encryption. I have done some research and playing around with things and I see that either of the makemkv backups can by used to make mkv files of the the videos on the disc, and that I can use the ISO file to make mkv files if I mount the ISO, copy the files to a folder, add the discatt file that makemkv creates when making a backup to the same folder, and then directing makemkv to the bdmv folder within and the movie object.bdmv file. So, for the ISO files I created I could just put disc back in and get the discatt file instead of doing a complete back up of all of them. So, what is best way to save a backup? ISO? (with a discatt file) or Makemkv? if Makemkv, should the backup be decrypted? I did see that I can play the main title M2TS file directly with VLC in an decrypted backup, which seems like a good thing. I thought of just doing decrypted backups and then directing plex right to the correct M2TS file by nesting it in a new folder, but Plex can't read those. Would have saved lot of GB storage to not have a full disc backup and an mkv of main title.

edit: I had done a search and it said that Plex doesn't work with M2TS, but I put a few in a folder and directed Plex to the folder and they played. That may make using a decrypted makemkv backup the best option as it saves having to make an additional mkv of main title. saves time and disc space.
Thoughts?
dcoke22

Re: makemkv backup or iso?

Post by dcoke22 »

I think it is important to remember that one of the best (and sometimes most infuriating) features of MakeMKV is that it checks the data it reads against the disc's hash table. MakeMKV verifies that what it reads from the disc is correct. Most other programs don't do this.

A successful MakeMKV backup or .mkv is a correct copy of the bits from the optical disc (minus the DRM).

In my view, from an archive perspective, the output of MakeMKV is the best answer. I don't see any value in keeping the DRM. While I use MakeMKV backups in the process of making the .mkv files, I keep the .mkv files as my 'archival copy', not the backups nor an ISO. In addition to the movie, I also make .mkv files of the extras on the disc and include them in my Plex (Local Files for Movie Trailers and Extras). This strategy means I 'lose' the blu-ray & DVD menus. I also couldn't easily burn a copy of a movie back out to optical disc. I don't think either the menus or the ability to burn a copy is of much value, but your mileage may vary.
hammer67

Post by hammer67 »

Thx. So if I have the makemkv back up, I can make mkv of all the files in the future if I decide to go the route you suggest. I guess being able to make a disc in future was a thought? That's why I was originally making ISO. But I did find a pitfall of that. As you mentioned, makemkv is very particular about getting exact copy. I have disc that will play, but can't get main title to work with makemkv. I was able to get an iso with a different program. It slowed at one point, but Eventually got through. But then I used another program to make an mkv, but it had a section of about 5 min where it was all messed up. If you have a decrypted full backup ( not iso), can you make a disc with that?

My idea of using the file in stream folder seems to work great and saves 30 GB or so per movie. However, I now see that some movies have segments: the main title is not 1 file. Surprisingly, most of the ones I ripped were 1 file. If it has, I think up to 8 segments, this will work. But have to rename all segments as part1, part2, etc. More than 8 and can't do this. I think 8 is plex limit.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

There are a lot of movies that use multiple segments. For example, just about every Pixar movie uses multiple segments to support multiple languages. Lionsgate went through a period of several years where they were purposely chopping their movies up into a bunch of segments then creating hundreds of playlists with all but one with segments out of order.

Getting the movie into a single .mkv file is easier, IMHO, than dealing with .m2ts files. .mkv files support chapters and they let you get rid of language & subtitle tracks you don't want or need. You can also name the tracks so you can tell which one is a commentary track. And you can set the forced subtitle tracks as forced and default, so Plex will play them by default.
commentary.jpg
commentary.jpg (24.51 KiB) Viewed 5999 times
You probably don't want to have only 1 copy of this stuff anyway. Getting the bits off the optical disc is the thing that takes all your time. With only a single copy, you're one HD failure away from losing what could end up being dozens and dozens of hours of work.

Big external hard drives aren't that expensive. Using MakeMKV to create a decrypted backup, which can be 'archived' on an external drive, and then a .mkv file that goes on your Plex server gives you two copies of the movie.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

hammer67 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:35 pm
If you have a decrypted full backup ( not iso), can you make a disc with that?
This isn't something I've ever had the need or desire to do. However, I think that you can. I think you would use imgburn to create the proper ISO from the decrypted backup and then burn it out.
gerard143

Post by gerard143 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:07 pm
I don't see any value in keeping the DRM. While I use MakeMKV backups in the process of making the .mkv files, I keep the .mkv files as my 'archival copy', not the backups nor an ISO. In addition to the movie, I also make .mkv files of the extras on the disc and include them in my Plex (Local Files for Movie Trailers and Extras). This strategy means I 'lose' the blu-ray & DVD menus. I also couldn't easily burn a copy of a movie back out to optical disc. I don't think either the menus or the ability to burn a copy is of much value, but your mileage may vary.
You have a good point. I am just getting started doing all backups plus mkv file for main title. But it might just be wasted time and disc space. I don't see myself every really caring about bonus features or extras. Streaming has most of us so used to just hitting play and watching the main title. When I really think about it, I think I would be fine with this. Mainly I do it all thru plex and apple tvs. One thing I noticed though, from the drop down options on a title playing I can see DTS-Master audio for example as a choice, but when I check my receiver to see if it actually receiving the master audio from apple TV and playing that audio format, it was not. Maybe this is an apple tv thing, I am not sure. But that part is important to me, I would like to be able to play these titles back in the best surround formats the original disc had available. Hate to derail the thread a little but maybe someone could shed some light on that?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I think it depends a bit on which AppleTV you have and how it is connected. In my case, my AppleTV 4K (3rd gen) is connected via HDMI to the TV. The audio is then routed from the TV to my old receiver via toslink optical cable. That optical cable doesn't have the bandwidth for any of the lossless (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA) or object-based spatial formats (Dolby Atmos or DTS:X) nor is my receiver new enough to be able to decode any of those formats. So, in my setup I'm just listening to DD AC-3 5.1 or DTS 5.1.

All the fancy audio formats need to be transmitted over HDMI I think. In my case, if I had a newer receiver that could decode those formats, the audio would travel from the TV to the receiver via HDMI on an eARC port.
gerard143

Post by gerard143 »

Ya I am on newest Apple TV, receiver supports atmos etc and I am using hdmi.

I think I read something about need to change audio format because plex can’t support it. But the app infuse is only one that can. I could be wrong. Just tried infuse though and it still wasn’t passing the lossless versions to receiver.

Ripped top gun uhd. Best audio option shows truehd. Another movie I ripped shows dta-hd MA as audio drop-down options. Yet receiver is not showing these as choices. Drop the disc in bluray player, receiver does show it’s receiving it.

Weird.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/a ... ions-tvOS-

I don't use Infuse all that often, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I think you have to have the paid for version of Infuse, Infuse Pro, to get the high end audio support. And, according to the details at the link above, Infuse will decode TrueHD or DTS-MA and send it as LPCM audio to your receiver.
gerard143

Post by gerard143 »

Yes you do. Which I have.