ripping high-res audio

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
thechill

ripping high-res audio

Post by thechill »

I'm not sure were to post this, please move if necessary. Also using the board-search did not help.

I would like to rip high-resolution audio disc's. like:
  • High Fidelity Pure Audio (HFPA) - Sony
    Pure Audio Blu-Rays (PABR) - msm-studios
    Super Audio CD Hybrid (SACD Hybrid)- 2L
e.g a disc on which is printed:
Pure Audio Blu-Ray Disc (BDA):
2.0 LPCM Stereo 24 bit 96kHz - Dolby Atmos
Can I do this with MakeMKV? Which Device/Software would you suggest?
Woodstock

Re: ripping high-res audio

Post by Woodstock »

2.0 LPCM is a standard audio type. MakeMKV rips it just fine for me.

Playing it should be fine, too, but some newer players get screwy with it in MP4 files for some reason.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
demon

Post by demon »

Note that MakeMKV will not rip Super Audio CDs. As far as I'm aware there are no drives, and no software, on PC that can rip the format. There are mods/hacks for certain set-top Blu-ray Disc players that support SA-CD that will allow you to dump the content of the SA-CD disc, but it's really out of scope for MakeMKV.

Anything that's just a Blu-ray Disc, MakeMKV should be able to handle. "Profile 3" is just a subset of the normal Blu-ray Disc format, so any audio-only Blu-ray Disc should be rippable with MakeMKV.
audiom3

Post by audiom3 »

To add to the previous, excellent posts, you should make a non-encrypted backup of your bluray audio disc. Then, use your favorite software on those files to 'rip' your 2.0 and 5.1 PCM files. I use DVD Audio Extractor and it can tried free for 30 days. For DVD-A discs, you don't need MakeMKV at all, only DVD Audio Extractor. SACD is pretty easy once you get the script on your thumb drive and software on your PC (Google how to set everything up as well as get the software/script). You only need a cheap, $15 - $20 Sony bluray player to convert all your SACDs. Hardest part is adding metadata and album artwork, but even that takes little time once you've done it enough times.