full disc with menus

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Deeply1220

full disc with menus

Post by Deeply1220 »

Hi, is there a way how to convert DVD/BR with all the menus and every bonus content in one file? MKV should be able to hold it, but i didn't manage to convert it... it's just giving me a bunch of video files, but i would like to keep whole disc as i've bought them with all the extras around.
Woodstock

Re: full disc with menus

Post by Woodstock »

DVD, no.

Bluray, you can ask for a backup copy, which will create a setup that CAN be used to get menus and such.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Deeply1220

Post by Deeply1220 »

ok, so how to activate the backup option? it's disabled (and yes i have a BR in the drive)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you have a BD in the drive and it is recognized, the option to BACKUP the disk should be available. What do you get when you click on the Backup Icon? (looks like a folder with an arrow pointing to it)

Clicking on the BIG icon will cause MakeMKV to operate the "normal" way, which is the give you access to the files on the disk, rather than directly access the drive. You have to click on the smaller "Backup" icon.
Deeply1220

Post by Deeply1220 »

Code: Select all

Source information
Type: Blu-ray disc
Name: Das Boot BD 2
so i guess it's recognized as BR

but he backup icon is inactive :( as it is inactive in the menu

i can use the save selected titles, but as you've mentioned it's creating separate files

can the fact that i'm running it on linux (no windows or mac in the house) be a problem?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I thought the Linux version worked the same as the Windows version, on opening the disk, at least. I've not used the Linux version in a while, so I cannot say.

Normally, when you put in a BD disk, you have two choices - open it normally (BIG button) or as a BD for "ripping everything" (smaller button next to the "camera" icon). Both buttons should be active, if a BD is loaded, but they won't stay that way - selecting either one will take out the other.

I don't have access to my Linux box right now to test it, though.
Deeply1220

Post by Deeply1220 »

you're right, the moment it "opens" the BR, backup options is gone; i didn't noticed that
however in the end it creates a lot of directories and folders, my goal was to create MKV that would contain all the content from the disk :(

maybe i'm doing something wrong...
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Deeply1220 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:36 am
you're right, the moment it "opens" the BR, backup options is gone; i didn't noticed that
however in the end it creates a lot of directories and folders, my goal was to create MKV that would contain all the content from the disk :(

maybe i'm doing something wrong...
no thats just how full backups are you could then convert it to iso with imgburn if you really want a single file but most programs that do the menus and stuff will work just open the index and it will play like normal.
except for the playlist protection ones
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Deeply1220

Post by Deeply1220 »

my bad then, i've misunderstood what makemkv can do
davidseven

Post by davidseven »

You may be able to use mkvmerge -- Merge multimedia streams into a Matroska(TM) file, to combine them into a single Matroska file.

I have not used that, though. The tool is in MKVToolNix.

Also don't know if working menus can be included in that single Matroska file.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Don't "Open" the disc in MakeMKV, as soon as you do, the "Backup" option gets grey-out.

Place the disc in the drive, start MakeMKV, then click the "Backup" button without opening the disc.

If you check the "Decrypt video files" checkbox before you start the backup, you will be able to play the full disc (including menus), as requested, depending on which player you're using of course. (Note that DVD's aren't encrypted so the checkbox is unavailable.)

This may apply to other players but I'm using VLC Media Player on a Windows PC to play full discs as follows:

- start VLC MP
- goto "Media > Open Disc..." (or press Ctrl+D)
- select the type of disc you backed up (let's say it was a Blu-ray)
- "Browse" to the top folder of the backup, usually named after the disc title (for example "FISTFUL_OF_DOLLARS") and highlight that folder - don't open it - then click the "Select Folder" button
- click "Play" and the disc should play just as if it were in the optical drive

AFAIK that's the only way to do what you're asking?

Also note that the region coding is still intact on the disc (even the backed-up version) so you may need to change that option within VLC MP as well:

- goto Tools > Preferences (or press Ctrl+P)
- lower left corner change "Show settings" to "All"
- expand "Input / Codecs > Access modules" and click on "Blu-ray"
- change the "Region code" to match the disc
- click "Save"

P.S. Don't ask me why VLC MP doesn't have an "ALL REGIONS" option for playback, it would be so much simpler than having to change this setting all the time!