Automatically set "Metadata language" to match "Language" property

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Radiocomms237

Automatically set "Metadata language" to match "Language" property

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Is there a way to automatically set the "Metadata language" property to the same variable already set in the "Language" drop-down box for each track?

At the moment the "Metadata language" properties are all set to "eng" by default regardless of the "Language" setting on each track.

I name all my tracks in their own language, so an English subtitle track might be "Closed Captions", a German subtitle track might be named "Für Schwerhörige", and an Italian subtitle track "Per i non udenti"

Problem is, then I need to adjust all the "Metadata language" properties on every track individually, which is rather tedious.
Radiocomms237

Re: Automatically set "Metadata language" to match "Language" property

Post by Radiocomms237 »

To follow up on the above, I decided to do a little experiment to see if MKVmerge (or ToolNix or whatever it's called) kept all my "Metadata language" tags (I took great care to set them all before ripping), so after muxing a file I'd just ripped (I had to adjust some of the chapters) I opened it again in MakeMKV and as I suspected, the "Metadata language" fields are now blank.

So to establish a baseline, I opened the file ripped by MakeMKV itself (pre-muxing) and all my "Metadata language" fields are also blank in that file!

Does this mean I've been wasting countless hours setting these tags on every track of every file I've ripped over the last year?? :x

Why aren't all my "Metadata language" settings being saved to the output file?
dcoke22

Re: Automatically set "Metadata language" to match "Language" property

Post by dcoke22 »

I generally try to get the titles of things right in MakeMKV, but often end up using mkvpropedit (part of the MKVToolNix tools) on the command line to edit/fix stuff after the fact. It only takes a few seconds even for a large file.

As for "Metadata Language" in MakeMKV, I'm not sure what that is used for. When you look a .mkv file with mediainfo, I see the "Language" property on things, but nothing titled 'Metadata Language'. The "Language" property typically has the language of the track in ISO 639-2 form.