Is there a threshold setting for minimum file size of a subtitle to keep?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Radiocomms237

Is there a threshold setting for minimum file size of a subtitle to keep?

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I know MakeMKV removes "empty" subtitle tracks and it's obvious that to be deleted, a track must be completely empty (ie. 0 KB).

But I've been running across a heap of .sup subtitle tracks lately that have just one single blank/transparent image and no text. These tracks, once extracted from the .mkv file, usually show as being 1 KB, so they aren't being removed by MakeMKV.

Is there a threshold setting somewhere that determines the minimum size of a subtitle file to keep?

I would dearly love to set it at "2 KB" so MakeMKV removes all these junk .sup tracks!

Thanks in advance.
Woodstock

Re: Is there a threshold setting for minimum file size of a subtitle to keep?

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV will only remove subtitle tracks it created, so it's not just a count of how many are in it. The "Forced only" tracks are not actually on the source; they're built by reading the parent track, and only writing the subtitles flagged as forced. If none our found, that's when the track is removed.

But if the disk was authored with an empty subtitle track, that will be written.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Thanks.

So then going the other way, is it somehow possible to display on the setup screen (prior to ripping) how much content a subtitle track has, which would allow me to un-check them manually?

This would have an added time-saving advantage because we wouldn't need to setup all the names & tags for those tracks, only to have them deleted again later.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Until it's ripped, MakeMKV has no idea what's in each track, so no, there isn't a way to tell in advance. Sorry.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging