Add automatically correct "name" field

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
MannyDanny

Add automatically correct "name" field

Post by MannyDanny »

Since I want to process ISOs to MKVs more automatically I would like to search for a way that could automate some of the things.

What I do is:

DB to ISO
ISO to MKV
MKV to clean MKV

Depending on what the source is I start at step 2 or even 3. But at the end I want a clean, sorted good named MKV.
For step 1 & 2 I use MakeMKV, for step 3 I use MKVToolNix.

Lets focus on step 1 & 2 here, sicne the other programm is offtopic.

What I really would appreciate is a way to automatically add titles, or names to the different tracks.

For example:

I would like to set the name attribute for "Audio" and "Subtitles" according to that patterns:

AUDIO:

Code: Select all

CODEC CHANNELS (if BITS != "16")BITS(end if) @QUALITY
This would result in names like this:
DTS-HD MA 2.0 24bits @1919 kbps
or
DTS 5.1 24bits @1512 kbps
or
DTS 5.1 @1512 kbps
(if 16 bits)
or
TrueHD Atmos 7.1 24bits @4756 kbps
Possible cases (at least what I would need, feel free to add more) would be:

CODEC:
DTS:
  • Aurora / Auro-3D
  • DTS-HD MA
  • DTS-HD HRA
  • DTS-ES
  • DTS
Dolby Digital:
  • TrueHD
  • TrueHD Atmos
  • AC3 EX
  • AC3
Lossless:
  • FLAC
  • ALAC
  • PCM
  • LPCM
  • ACM
Others:
  • AAC
  • MP3
  • OGG
  • OPUS
CHANNELS:
BITS:
QUALITY:
  • KILOBIT_RATE + "kbps"
Maybe this does not cover everything. But that would be all needed for AUDIO, I think.

Subtitles:

Code: Select all

EDITION (FORMAT) ADDITIONAL
This would result in names like this:
Full (SRT)
or
Forced (PGS)
or
Full SDH (VOB)
or
Full (SRT) Commentary
EDITION:
  • Full
  • Forced
  • Full SDH
FORMAT:
  • SRT
  • PGS
  • VOB
  • SSA
  • VTT
ADDITIONAL: (optional!)
  • Commentary
If these things would be added to an exported MKV, this, I think, would a lot of things more easy. As I think its to much to ask for, I would be glad to help building that. Or maybe someone could point me in the right direction, with what settings at what place this could be achived. Since I see that MakeMKV actually does have that info as it writed the MKV which contains these, that made me thing it should be possible.
Also MakeMKV does add names, but just very sloppy names like "Surround 5.1" which really is not sayin much.
Last edited by MannyDanny on Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
albert90

Re: Add automatically correct "name" field

Post by albert90 »

Oh, I strongly second this. I think it'd help a lot and it does actually seem doable. Here's hoping.
FreelancerJ

Post by FreelancerJ »

Oh it'd be sweet if it could tag which subtitles tracks are Forced vs Full, and which are reg subs vs SDH.
Usually I just look for the much smaller track for forced subs, but figuring out which subs are purely a translation of the voice instead of the SDH track is always much harder. Do blu-rays have any flags in for that, like so a person's blu-ray player can always select those subtitles for them if they need them, that makeMKV could use to name those tracks appropriately?
MannyDanny

Post by MannyDanny »

FreelancerJ wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:50 am
Oh it'd be sweet if it could tag which subtitles tracks are Forced vs Full, and which are reg subs vs SDH.
Usually I just look for the much smaller track for forced subs, but figuring out which subs are purely a translation of the voice instead of the SDH track is always much harder. Do blu-rays have any flags in for that, like so a person's blu-ray player can always select those subtitles for them if they need them, that makeMKV could use to name those tracks appropriately?
Thats what I'm doing aswell, but MakeMKV is able to read these values automatically from a BD source AFAIK, adding them in "set bits" and name would be awesome and take a lot of hassle away from muxing.
I think in generally MakeMKV should focus a little more on "automation" and preconfigurabillity with config files, since it AFAIK once wants to be a commercial product.

@admins: I am more then willing to spend some time on this and provide you with a complete detailed structure on how it should look to cover really ALL usecases and all info.
Also I never have seen ANY person that ever said: no please don't set the right tags for subtitles and tracks.. as there is absolutely no reason for. So I even think, that should be dwefault/standard, once it's implemented.