Ubuntu Linux 20.04 -Saving to a secondary Hard Drive

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Jsac4fun

Ubuntu Linux 20.04 -Saving to a secondary Hard Drive

Post by Jsac4fun »

Hey there folks,

I am struggling with something pretty simple with this program used in Ubuntu Linux. I am currently using Cinnamon desktop. I want to be able to rip my movies to an external hard drive. When I map the drive its mapped as /User/media/Rip Drive. Mounts fine, formated to xt4, system reconized with no problem. When i map my rip to that drive it gives me an invalid directory error. I read somewhere that MakeMKV can only save to the primary drive? I can't believe that if its true. I have to be missing something. I'm not a linux novice by any stretch but I am decent at the command prompt in Terminal (30 years exp with Microsoft & Windows over the ages). I know I'm missing something. Can anything be done?
dcoke22

Re: Ubuntu Linux 20.04 -Saving to a secondary Hard Drive

Post by dcoke22 »

What if you get rid of the space in the mount point?
Jsac4fun

Post by Jsac4fun »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:02 pm
What if you get rid of the space in the mount point?
Changing names, changing mounting location, changing drive permissions.. NADA!
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Weird. I use MakeMKV on a Mac and I'm always writing to one or the other external drives. I almost never am writing rips to my computer's internal, boot drive storage.

MakeMKV does have a data directory that can be configured in Preferences. Is that valid on your system? Do you have a log with the error you can post? Does it work if you try to save a rip to an internal drive?
kuitsu

Post by kuitsu »

One common reason for such problem is if you have installed MakeMKV from snap package.
Snap packages are sandboxed and they restrict application's access to external drives.

Try to do following:
- uninstall MakeMKV
- setup flatpak support - https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/02/how ... tu-flathub
- Install MakeMKV from flatpak