MakeMKVcon does not find license as different user

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
bschutte12

MakeMKVcon does not find license as different user

Post by bschutte12 »

Hi you all,

I have been working to implement makeMKV as an extention of my ASP.net webpage. The goal is that I can control the ripper from my ASP.net webpage. I have must of the controls figured out get information from makeMKVcon, and give the correct parameters to RIP the disks to the wanted locations.

The process was pretty straightforward, unti I tried to open MakeMKVcon on a server which hosted the website instead of using a debug host. I had to figure out a way to enable the user that is created by the hosting server (Internet Information service (IIS)). The solution to access the files, was to set the user to a 'system' user. I can start MakeMKVcon now from the website, but for some reason it cannot find the key that is put in to MakeMKV.

The key is registered using the 'Administrator' account, and is activated according to the GUI. When I run my commands in the console as the 'Administrator' user, everything works as it should. But when I try to run it as the 'system' user from the ASP.net website, it says that no key is registered and if I want to start the trail period.

Is there a solution for this problem? Can I give the Key to MakeMKVcon to activated it for the 'system' user?

On a identical server I have done the same, but the trail peroid is activated. It works on that server, but I don't know if that depends on the activated trail time.

Information about the server:
Website host: IIS local on the network
the key for MakeMKV is a bought key.
Website server is also the machine that needs to do the ripping.

Thanks in advance!!

greetings,
Bram
dcoke22

Re: MakeMKVcon does not find license as different user

Post by dcoke22 »

On unix-like environments, the license data is kept on a per user basis; this may be true on Windows as well. I assume you can't log into your Windows Server as the 'system' user and activate MakeMKV via the GUI. On linux, you can just put your key in the right file in the right place. Presumably something similar is true on Windows.

How to license Linux
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23174
bschutte12

Re: MakeMKVcon does not find license as different user

Post by bschutte12 »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. For some reason i did think it was not possible to start the proccess manually as the 'system' user.
Fortunally, I found that it is possible to run programs as 'system' , using 'psexec' from Windows. With this I was able to open the GUI using the 'system' user and indeed, it says it is not registered. After filling in the key, it worked!!!

I still need to test the ripping functionality, but the scanning seems to work like expected.

Thank you so much for the suggestion to reseach to possibility to run the GUI mannually as 'System' instead of 'admin'.

Link to the stack overflow question to start a program as system manually:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/775 ... em-account