Having trouble understanding arguments, examples?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Alcharmic

Having trouble understanding arguments, examples?

Post by Alcharmic »

Are there any concrete examples of how to select audio tracks only, and not subtitles, etc?

For instance, select all audio, select ONLY this subtitle; or select all audio, select NO subtitles; or select ALL [ lang code] audio, and NO subtitles; etc?

I've read through the devs usage and arguments how-to on this sub-board specifically, but it's just not clicking with me, I keep getting lost when trying to parse how how to write a simple argument like above. Anything beyond the "sel none; sel all Eng" is really confusing me. It would be so much simpler to not rip the subtitles than remux everything to not include them. I'm going to keep reading over and trying to understand, but thought I would ask, too, if someone has a handier example ready.
exitguy

Re: Having trouble understanding arguments, examples?

Post by exitguy »

Alcharmic wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:37 pm
Are there any concrete examples of how to select audio tracks only, and not subtitles, etc?
Just open the title and there will be listed what is available, those that are "ticked" are that which is currently selected so just "untick" the ones you don't want and they will not be utilised.
Alcharmic

Re: Having trouble understanding arguments, examples?

Post by Alcharmic »

I'm using a Linux CLI, not the GUI. That's where my trouble is coming in. :)

After poring over the docs again, I came up with this:
-sel:all,+sel:(audio&(eng)),+sel:((audio&(jpn)&(subtitle&(eng)))),+sel:special,=100:all

If I'm understanding right (or, in other words, my hope is), it should:

Deselect everything, select (all audio that's in English), select (audio that's in Japanese AND subtitle tracks in English)*, and select (any special feature tracks).

Could be very wrong though, hence the post.

*I was thinking of how an IF might apply and came up with this. I think it maths out, but any tips are appreciated.

ETA: I see I can open the MKV with the GUI app on my Windows machine and access the raw files over the network. Not quite remuxing, but still an extra step, where I'd instead like to remove the step of ripping the subs in the first place. Additionally, instead of that wonky IF (if you could even really call it that) it'd be easier to just to have separate args for when I need Japanese audio vs. English.