Normal and extended version inside mkv?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
capitansolo

Normal and extended version inside mkv?

Post by capitansolo »

Hello guys!

As you know, Aliens bluray version contains normal and extended version of the same film and im trying to make a mkv with the two versions... not ripping both versions and having two files with big size for placing inside the .mkv.

Im asking about a feature that allow me to do like bluray does having one big m2ts file that is the normal version and others m2ts with high size that are the scened for extended , so if i select normal version, it will play the rip version but if i select the extended version, it will play normal version+ scenes added on the extended...

If that possible?

Regards!

PD: hope i explained well
Woodstock

Re: Normal and extended version inside mkv?

Post by Woodstock »

Not really - an MKV file doesn't have a menu structure to say which parts to use where. Multiple MKV files can be "chained" together, but I am uncertain of the mechanism. One series I have branches out to other MKV files to handle the titles and credits, with the main MKV handling the majority of the show. Obviously tools exist, but I have only seen the results, and not everything supports such file sets.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I wonder if this thread is any help?

Seamless branching with MKV viewtopic.php?t=897
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

capitansolo wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:25 pm
Hello guys!

As you know, Aliens bluray version contains normal and extended version of the same film and im trying to make a mkv with the two versions... not ripping both versions and having two files with big size for placing inside the .mkv.

Im asking about a feature that allow me to do like bluray does having one big m2ts file that is the normal version and others m2ts with high size that are the scened for extended , so if i select normal version, it will play the rip version but if i select the extended version, it will play normal version+ scenes added on the extended...

If that possible?

Regards!

PD: hope i explained well
You should be able to use mkvtoolnix to do this. You will still have to rip the 2 versions first in MakeMKV then use mkvtoolnix to merge into 1 mkv file wtih 2 video/audio tracks.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
capitansolo

Post by capitansolo »

@dcoke22 Thanks! That post is what i looking for. Anyway, hope mkv will have this feature soon :)

@MartyMcNuts The question is not for ripping two versions and adding inside the same .mkv...the question is for ripping one version and files needed for extender version because in that way, we only need a small porcentaje for playing both versions