Forced subtitles not found, merged with English sub?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
beewizzard

Forced subtitles not found, merged with English sub?

Post by beewizzard »

I'm trying to rip my Blu-Ray of Ghost in the Shell (1995) but am having issues with the forced English subtitles. I know for a fact that the opening screen of the movie has forced subtitles for the English translation of the Japanese you see on-screen, regardless of whether or not you have English subtitles turned on. But when I go to rip the movie, I encounter this error:

Code: Select all

AV sync issue in stream 4 at 0:00:00 : Forced subtitles track #4 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
These are the selections available:
gits-screenshot.png
gits-screenshot.png (17.19 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
When I go to watch the .mkv output file on VLC, the forced subtitles for the opening scene only show if I enable English subtitles. Is there a way to fix this?
Woodstock

Re: Forced subtitles not found, merged with English sub?

Post by Woodstock »

Not really - those were not tagged as "forced" in the source, so MakeMKV did not separate them out.

It is possible to extract the English subtitle track and edit a copy of it to make your own, and merge that back in to the MKV, but that is a pain.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Re: Forced subtitles not found, merged with English sub?

Post by Chetwood »

Mmh, can't remember this but if there's no track with forced subs only and the forced items are in the English tracked but not flagged as forced, how does the BD player know how to play back the items?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch