Can we get the option to disable a video track extraction?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
chungy

Can we get the option to disable a video track extraction?

Post by chungy »

There's a few times with my encoded files that I wish to alter the audio of my rips, while keeping the video I've already processed. It'd be nice if MakeMKV could disable extracting a video track, so that I might extract audio tracks only.
Woodstock

Re: Can we get the option to disable a video track extraction?

Post by Woodstock »

Previously, Mike has said no. And ignoring the video track doesn't make that much difference in speed, because the whole file has to be read to pull the parts out of it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

it's not quite true. if reading from an optical disc, it probably doesn't make much of a difference (write speeds would be limited by read speed), but if reading from an ISO or decrypted backup, writing a huge amount less data would make the process significantly faster, especially if read/writing to the same drive.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

thetoad wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:18 pm
it's not quite true. if reading from an optical disc, it probably doesn't make much of a difference (write speeds would be limited by read speed), but if reading from an ISO or decrypted backup, writing a huge amount less data would make the process significantly faster, especially if read/writing to the same drive.
I have a relatively inexpensive SSD that I use as 'scratch' space for just such a purpose. I often end up making .mkv files from backups on a hard drive array to the scratch SSD. I typically get speeds in the 300mb/s - 400mb/s range. A whole blu-ray movie generally takes less than 3 minutes. Generally, I'm limited to the speed of my slowest drive which is often my SSD.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:02 pm
thetoad wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:18 pm
I have a relatively inexpensive SSD that I use as 'scratch' space for just such a purpose. I often end up making .mkv files from backups on a hard drive array to the scratch SSD. I typically get speeds in the 300mb/s - 400mb/s range. A whole blu-ray movie generally takes less than 3 minutes. Generally, I'm limited to the speed of my slowest drive which is often my SSD.
yes an SSD would improve the situation, but it would still be slower than not everyone uses SSDs for this type of thing. Its also uses iops, so wasting write iops on unnecessary data limits the performance of other things a user might want to do.

As I said, if reading off optical media directly, it probably doesn't make a huge difference (you aren't going to be reading much faster than 50MB/s), but I think there's value in allowing the video track to be ignored. I don't think we should resort to Apple's "you're holding it wrong"

Another reason for this is that some blurays I've encountered have audio plays where the video track is a fairly constant image. I have no need for it, and would rather an mka instead of an mkv. Currently, I remux it in MakeMKV (mostly because I'm setting up other stuff from the disc to remux) and then take the resulting mkv and load it in mkvtoolnix to remux without the video track. This is wasted effort for me, when MakeMKV could do it fairly easily.

such an UI would also work towards enabling people who for whatever reason don't want to include dolby vision data into their UHD remuxes to deselect dolby vision layer from a dual layer disk and only remux the video track. I believe we already see such a UI with 3D, where one can choose not to include the 2nd eye/ssif video data.

I'd probably include it as an advanced setting "enable video track deselecton" to avoid users making mistakes.
magingen

Post by magingen »

+1, this would be great. It's not so much for saving speed, but for saving space.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I have asked for this feature previously (must have been after this thread's last reply of Aug 2021).

In my case it was for these Universal Pictures discs that have the Japanese tracks in a separate playlist.

Everything I rip these days is from a decrypted backup and it would save me a heap of time if I could extract ONLY audio and subtitles from a playlist.