How to keep subtitles in ripping?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
r41866

How to keep subtitles in ripping?

Post by r41866 »

Forgive my ignorance but I haven't found a setting in MakeMKV to keep the subtitles. I believe this has been discussed many times but I simply don't know how to do it and haven't found the answer by searching the forum. Thanks for the reply.
Woodstock

Re: How to keep subtitles in ripping?

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV defaults to selecting subtitles and storing them in the MKV file.

Did you, by chance, set a "preferred language" in Preferences? If so, it will ONLY save those that match that preferred language.

What player are you using? Some older players do not see Bluray subtitles in MKV files, but they'd have to be VERY old.

Some players will also default to showing you tracks with fewer subtitles (forced tracks), which can make you think there are none.

Take a look at this topic: Changing names with Expert mode enabled
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
r41866

Post by r41866 »

Now I found the cause of the problem. This movie has Dolby Vision HDR and when I used HDR setting for Windows, the subtitle couldn't be displayed. The subtitle can be displayed only if I don't enable HDR for Windows.

Is there any way to display subtitle under HDR setting? The player I use is VLC player.
jbnouser

Post by jbnouser »

I have this same issue: it seems that only about one out of ten BluRay and DVD rips come with subtitles. However, my preferred language was set to "None". Would that have prevented the subtitles from being included with the mkv file?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, "Preferred language None" would default to selecting all subtitle languages.

Are you looking at what is selected before ripping? If you click on the little triangle next to the title in the left window, you can see what tracks there are within the title, and whether or not they're selected. This applies to playlists... The m2ts files may not have subtitle tracks themselves.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging