libmmbd and VLC on macOS 10.15.7

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
OakManor

libmmbd and VLC on macOS 10.15.7

Post by OakManor »

Why is a legacy Java runtime required when utilizing libmmbd on macOS 10.15.7? And if it is absolutely required, how do I install it on-top of the OS X built-in version of Java?

I'm trying to allow VLC to enable direct playback of protected discs. Both MakeMKV and VLC work as expected and only playback of protected discs starts this issue.

When I use VLC to "Open Disc" it reports a VLC error message "Blu-ray error. This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it."
In MakeMKV preferences, on the Integration tab, I enable "VLC", Apply, and click OK. When I now restart VLC and attempt to "Open Disc", the VLC application closes and an error message is displayed "To open “VLC” you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime. Click “More Info…” to visit the legacy Java SE 6 download website." Clicking "More Info..." leads me to https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US to download Java for OS X 2017-001. Attempting to install it produces the error "Java for macOS 2017-001 can't be installed on this disk. A newer version of this package is already installed."

What are my next steps?