Disc Scans for Troubleshooting

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
preserve

Disc Scans for Troubleshooting

Post by preserve »

Sometimes when you run into issues with a disc (structural issues in particular), and make a post in the appropriate Disc format subfourm, it can take time to go back and forth on asking for specific disc information, and it may not be easy to arrive at a solution in cases where other members do not have the same disc as you.

The following instructions are aimed at gathering information about a disc that can help in troubleshooting. (Personally, I save these dumps as reference with every disc I rip.)

In a working directory, create a batch file named "discinfo.bat" and edit it with a plain text editor such as Notepad.

Paste the following into the "discinfo.bat" batch file, changing the two instances of "d:" to the drive letter of your disc drive, and changing "c:\progra~2\makemkv\" to the location of your MakeMKV installation.

Code: Select all

for /f "tokens=1-5*" %%1 in ('vol d:') do ( set "volm=%%6" & goto done )
:done
dir d: /s >"%volm%-disc.txt"
c:\progra~2\makemkv\makemkvcon -r info disc:0 >"%volm%-tree.txt"
With the troublesome disc in your disc drive, execute the batch file.

The scan will create two text files in your working directory, the "-disc.txt" directory scan and the "-tree.txt" MakeMKV structure scan. Upload those files as attachments to your thread.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
ssybesma

Re: Disc Scans for Troubleshooting

Post by ssybesma »

Make sure when you create the batch file that it has a CR/LF at the end because I found it won't create the 2nd and much more detailed text file ending with "-tree" if you don't do that.
It needs that CR/LF to complete the redirect to file on the 2nd command string.