Default output file name template

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
bvrulez

Re: Default output file name template

Post by bvrulez »

flintcsci wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:36 pm
I've simply changed the end of the default template, so my template looks like this:
{NAME1}{-:CMNT1}{-:DT}{title:+DFLT}{_Ep:M2}

Then it shows the filename ends up being:
G_Gundam_S1_BD2!ERRtemplate_t00.mkv

When the expected value is:
G_Gundam_S1_BD2_Ep01, where "G_Gundam_S1_BD2" is NAME.
I have the same problem. I am using the default from this site: {NAME1}{-:CMNT1}{-:DT}{title:+DFLT}{_t:N2}.
redndahead

Post by redndahead »

I would like to use the folder name in the filename. Is there an option for that? For example. If I am saving the rip to ~/rips/mymovie/ I would like the file name to be something like "mymovie-1.mkv"
robinb

Post by robinb »

Mike, would it be possible to expose a few more properties from the disc as substitution variables, to help with filename creation?
Specifically I am thinking of the segment map and segment count.

I am working my way through a lot of StarTrek TNG BluRays and I've observed pattern. After disc one they seem to have fallen into a pattern where the segment map is a good indicator of the correct order. Nearly all disks have 4-5 ~8GB episodes and some shorter extras. The episodes usually have segment maps of only one segment. The segment map numbers are usually 0-5 giving the right order. Discs also often have a compilation (presumably the "play all" option), where the segment map is [0,1,2,3,4].
What I have been doing manually (before the rip) is modifying the generated filename for each track to insert "_smX", where X is the segment-map which you display in the panel on the right. I insert this before the final titleID. The result is a group of output files which are in the correct order, so it is easier to check the episode and give it its full title. On some disks they've used two segments per episode, but my manual insertion of the segment map still works e.g.
'STAR TREK TNG S2 D1_sm0,64_t06.mkv' (main episode 1 ~7.5G)
'STAR TREK TNG S2 D1_sm1,64_t05.mkv' (main episode 2 ~7.5G)
'STAR TREK TNG S2 D1_sm2,64_t04.mkv' (main episode 3 ~7.5G)
'STAR TREK TNG S2 D1_sm3,64_t03.mkv' (main episode 4 ~7.5G)
'STAR TREK TNG S2 D1_sm4,64_t02.mkv' (main episode 5 ~7.5G)
'STAR TREK TNG S2 D1_sm7,65_t01.mkv' (extra feature ~1G)
'STAR TREK TNG S2 D1_sm20,65_t00.mkv' (extra feature ~1G)
The files were listed in the order shown above in the GUI (on my Linux desktop), but when I did an an 'ls' command so that I could copy and paste into here the last file (with sm20) moved into third position because of simple alpha-sorting... so I see some use for leading zeros on the numbers!

I was wondering if you could add:
SEGCOUNT
SEGMAP, SEGMAP1 - being the numbers without any zero padding
SEGMAP2, SEGMAP3 - Numbers with zero padding to 2 or 3 digits.

The segmaps could be used in the filenames to help sorting and the seg-count could be used in the default selection to deselect the play-all titles where, for example, SEGCOUNT > 3
FoxLovesYou

Post by FoxLovesYou »

Default Naming Template doesn't appear to be pulling values properly. The Drive Select screen shows the Title and Date properly pulled from the disc(s) in question. Before I enabled Expert mode and tried to adjust the Template, it WAS supplying me with <Name>_t<track>.mkv, but has since resulted in only providing title_t<track>.mkv. Supplying the name manually fixes the missing {NAME1}, but no longer automatically pulls the name. My current string is

Code: Select all

{NAME1}{-:CMNT1}{-:DT}{title:+DFLT} ({DY})
This is in an attempt to make the videos more friendly to Plex as "NAME (YEAR).mkv". For now, I'm stuck manually adjusting the Name+Filename.
TheTester

Post by TheTester »

Greatings.
I am using the default filename template.

{NAME1}{-:CMNT1}{-:DT}{title:+DFLT} ({DY})
however the outputed file is,

title ().mkv
The disk is being caught correctly, how to make the default template spit out a decent filename? Like

Shockwave_CountDown to disaster.mkv
--
TheTester
thosti

Post by thosti »

Is it possible to set the output file template to the source file name?
jonas0_13

Post by jonas0_13 »

Hello !
I am using a very simple template for file name, {NAME1}, and I input filename manually in GUI.
However I would like extension .mkv to be added automatically. How can I do this ?
- if I use template {NAME1} and I input Movie in GUI, then I get t00.mkv as file name
- if I use template {NAME1} and I input Movie.mkv in GUI, then I get Movie.mkv as file name
- if I use template {NAME1}.mkv and I input Movie in GUI, then I get Movie.mkv.mkv as file name
Which template should I use to get Movie.mkv as file name, when I input Movie in GUI ?
Thank you.
littlegandhi1199

Post by littlegandhi1199 »

Hi Mike!
I just bought a full licence for you for makeMKV.
Now that I am no longer ashamed for using it for free I also would like to second that the Segment Map (and Segment Count incase the map numbers match each other).

I just bought the 4Ks of Game of thrones now that Atmos is finally out for them and am ripping everything to play it as I go.
I'm about to finish Season 2 and so far 1 of the 6 discs was actually ordered properly (by title_XX).

Using {SN} will probably work from here on out so I appreciate your implementation of the above but I suspect that Segment Map and Count are playlist numbers which have got to be easier to read and far more accurate then the studio's quite possibly arbitrary MPLS numbers.

SEGMAP
SEGCOUNT

Would be highly appreciated and I'm sure would really help for those series with entire series on 1 bluray disc!
Thank You Mike!

~Michael Arnold
Boise ID
~Michael Arnold
Boise ID
wjcarpenter

Post by wjcarpenter »

Re-iterating what has collectively been said by others, I don't get a value for {NAME1} in the template by default. But if I modify the "Name" field in the GUI in any way, then {NAME1} does show up in the filenames. This seems like it's probably some simple bug. Now that I know the trick, it's not too bad. My feeble brain just has to remember to make that sort of tweak each time before hitting the button to save the files as MKVs.
SandyD

Post by SandyD »

I have the same problem with DVD's. They never show the name of the DVD or Show. T%he output is always Title_00.mkv incrementing up. Nothing in the template setting seems to work unless it is a 4K and some Bluray disks.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That's because not all disks (including BD and UHD) includes the title metadata, and sometimes they have it WRONG.

You can force the title information by filling in the FIRST line with the name you want MakeMKV to use.

More information here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16405
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SandyD

Post by SandyD »

OK, here is the problem and the solution.

The problem is if NAME and COMMENT are empty for each track then the current setting is to default to Title. That doesn't work for discs with multiple Episodes. You just get Title_t00.mkv, Title_t01.mkv and so on. No way to identify what disc the title is from.

There are two solutions. The first solution is to create a directory using the Disk Name and then store all of the Title_t**.mkv files there. That way when you are ripping multiple episode disks each one has their own directory.

The second solution is if there are not names for each track you can default to the Disc name. Instead of {title:+DFLT} there could be another preset variable called DISCNAME that contains the name of the inserted disk. You could then use {DISCNAME:+DFLT}. If the NAME variable is empty it would default to the Disc Name of the inserted disk. In the example below the inserted Disc only Shows Title for everything as there isn't a name for each track. If you add a DISCNAME variable then the '3RD_ROCK_S1D1' would be used instead of Title for each track. When the tracks are extracted they would show as 3RD_ROCK_S1D1_t00.mkv, 3RD_ROCK_S1D1_t01.mkv.

Either of the suggested solution would be great.

Example
2021-03-08_101544.png
2021-03-08_101544.png (6.55 KiB) Viewed 27268 times
skylinekiller

Post by skylinekiller »

After creating a file, it has a file name that you can change, and the file name/Title that is "embedded into the file". Is there a way to have the file name that embedded blank?

For example:
the actual file name is "Halloween" but when you click on file detail, the "Title" in the file detail seems to have the actual disk name. I want this Title field blank.
sbonikowske

Post by sbonikowske »

SandyD wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:19 pm
OK, here is the problem and the solution.

The problem is if NAME and COMMENT are empty for each track then the current setting is to default to Title. That doesn't work for discs with multiple Episodes. You just get Title_t00.mkv, Title_t01.mkv and so on. No way to identify what disc the title is from.

There are two solutions. The first solution is to create a directory using the Disk Name and then store all of the Title_t**.mkv files there. That way when you are ripping multiple episode disks each one has their own directory.

The second solution is if there are not names for each track you can default to the Disc name. Instead of {title:+DFLT} there could be another preset variable called DISCNAME that contains the name of the inserted disk. You could then use {DISCNAME:+DFLT}. If the NAME variable is empty it would default to the Disc Name of the inserted disk. In the example below the inserted Disc only Shows Title for everything as there isn't a name for each track. If you add a DISCNAME variable then the '3RD_ROCK_S1D1' would be used instead of Title for each track. When the tracks are extracted they would show as 3RD_ROCK_S1D1_t00.mkv, 3RD_ROCK_S1D1_t01.mkv.

Either of the suggested solution would be great.

Example
2021-03-08_101544.png
I see it's been 6 months, and no comment on this. I think your suggestions are very reasonable. It shouldn't be hard to do either. The disk name is there. If there are no titles and/or comments, getting a rip with title_t001.mkv is just about useless, especially for those of us with several hundred disks to work through.

There have been a lot of people over many years asking for this functionality from what I can tell doing searches to try and resolve this myself.
itjamie

Post by itjamie »

+1. please make sure makemkvcon can support this aswell on linux!