MVC muxing improvement

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
madshi

MVC muxing improvement

Post by madshi »

Hi there,

when muxing 3D Blu-Rays it seems that MakeMKV currently does not store the information which view is for the left eye and which for the right. This information is available in the playlist file (see "MVC_Base_view_R_flag"). The ideal way to store this in MKV would be to add a "StereoMode" property to the video track. See here:

http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs ... StereoMode

> 13: both eyes laced in one Block (left eye is first)
> 14: both eyes laced in one Block (right eye is first)

Would be great if you guys could add that, so LAV Splitter + Video Decoder can output the decoded eyes in the right order to madVR. Thanks!
nevcairiel

Re: MVC muxing improvement

Post by nevcairiel »

This would indeed be a great addition.
Currently this information is simply lost as far as I know, which is of course anything but ideal. While the number of discs that have switched view order seem to be somewhat limited, it is a bit of an annoyance to validate every single rip and set the metadata manually if needed.

We're trying to bring MKV 3D playback to the mainstream Windows players, and this is one piece of the puzzle that would make the entire workflow more seamless.
CountryBumkin

Post by CountryBumkin »

bump :roll:
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This should be fixed in the next version, sorry for missing the topic. On the relevant note, the 3D plane information ifor subtitle track is now discarded as well. If you have a good idea where to put it (tag attached to PGS track, extra trackinfo, etc) please let me know.
madshi

Post by madshi »

Wonderful, thanks for adding that! :)

There's been some discussion about how to store the plane information in MKV in the Matroska-devel mailing list. See here:

https://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/ma ... 04982.html

But no decision has been made as of yet (AFAIK).

@nevcairiel and @mike, should we push for an official solution via Matroska-devel? Or should we just define something useful ourselves? I suppose official would be much nicer, but I'm not sure how fast that can be moved forwards.
nevcairiel

Post by nevcairiel »

I don't think there will be an "official" solution thats as simple as providing the index to the MVC SEI depth plane, and considering that, its probably going to take ages to get any official spec everyone can agree on.

In the meantime, I wouldn't be opposed to simply writing a track tag for every subtitle stream (ie. a normal Tag with TargetType TRACK and an appropriate TagTrackUID). Thats pretty straight forward and should do no harm. Could even be marked in the list of statistics tags to avoid it being mistaken as an actual tag.

PS:
Thank you for fixing this! When we get the subtitle depth in as well, I might need to re-rip some Blu-rays. ;)
madshi

Post by madshi »

That would be just fine with me. We can go with such a tag for now, and then maybe some time in the future update to the official solution, if there will ever be one that makes sense for us.

@mike, what do you think?
_r0lZ

Post by _r0lZ »

I'm considering to add the possibility to load a 3D MKV as input for my BD3D2MK3D program (that converts 3D BD playlists to 3D MKV in SBS or TAB format, optionally with 2D and 3D subtitles). Of course, for me, it is very important to have the correct information about the views order and the OFS planes, so I second that request.
tebasuna51

Post by tebasuna51 »

tebasuna51

Post by tebasuna51 »

In order to use BD3D2MK3D I make some test adding tags (and stereo_mode) to the mkv using --tags <ID>:D:\tmp\tag-3d-2.xml:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<!DOCTYPE Tags SYSTEM "matroskatags.dtd">
<Tags>
  <Tag>
    <Simple>
      <Name>3d-plane</Name>
      <String>2</String>
    </Simple>
  </Tag>
</Tags>
After that we can retrieve the full info using:
mkvmerge --engage keep_track_statistics_tags -F verbose-text -i INPUT.mkv

Code: Select all

Track ID 0: video (MPEG-4p10/AVC/h.264) [... stereo_mode:13 ...]
Track ID 1: audio (DTS-HD Master Audio) [...]
Track ID 3: subtitles (HDMV PGS) [... tag_3d-plane:2 ...]
Track ID 4: subtitles (HDMV PGS) [... tag_3d-plane:1 ...]
I hope than can be implemented in a next version.
Thanks.
_r0lZ

Post by _r0lZ »

Nice proposition. I think it's probably the best way, at least as long as an official tag/field is not defined by Matroska.

So, yes, please implement this in the next version. And don't forget the stereoscopy mode!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Done in 1.9.10 . Please verify.
nevcairiel

Post by nevcairiel »

The view order property seems to not be detected properly. I ripped a Blu-ray thats right-left (ie. MVC_Base_view_R_flag 1), and the resulting MKV has StereoMode 13, not 14 as I would expect.
FWIW, I used the Hobbit Extended Unexpected Journey Disc 1 for this test. Tags for the 3D plane order are in the file, I'm still looking into verifying if they match up with what I read from BDMV directly.

Edit:
3D plane info looks good so far.

Did some more testing on the view order, and discs which are Left-Right also are flagged as 13, so its at least not flipped.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

nevcairiel wrote:The view order property seems to not be detected properly. I ripped a Blu-ray thats right-left (ie. MVC_Base_view_R_flag 1), and the resulting MKV has StereoMode 13, not 14 as I would expect.
Please send MPLS file (for that specific playlist) +all CLPI files from this disc to support@makemkv.com. Thanks!
nevcairiel

Post by nevcairiel »

Sent