MVC muxing improvement

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
_r0lZ

Re: MVC muxing improvement

Post by _r0lZ »

I confirm the right-eye first bug.

A good example of Right-eye first is the recent Peanuts Movie 3D. The main movie and the Cosmic Scrat-tastrophe short have the right view in the AVC stream.
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

I can also confirm the right-eye first issue (tested with Drive Angry). Do you also need the MPLS and CLPI files?
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

Unfortunately, this bug is still present in the latest update from 15th of July.
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

I can confirm that Version v1.10.2 (11.9.2016) fixed that bug. Thanks a lot Mike!
preserve

Post by preserve »

_r0lZ wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:57 am
load a 3D MKV as input for my BD3D2MK3D program
I've been using this program together with MakeMKV for some time now, thank you very much!

I'm still a bit confused about what to do when the red warning appears for not detecting the 3D plane of subtitles. In the "Open MKV 3D" tab it says "3D-plane: ?" and in the "Select streams" tab, I read the "?" button help description, but it didn't clear it up for me.

I'm using the latest MakeMKV and the latest release (I think?) of BD3D2MK3D, version 0.100, which hasn't been updated for some time? From reading the help text, in that case (MakeMKV > 1.9.9), I understand it should be detecting the 3D plane for the subtitles, but perhaps some of the discs I'm trying recently are not properly containing that information, so that's why it hasn't been written to the MKV file?

(Currently working on Miss Sadie Thompson 3D from Twilight Time, although I've seen this same issue recently on some other discs as well.)

I guess what I'm looking for is a recommendation of what I should set the 3D plane # to for the subtitles, if it's not detected.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
_r0lZ

Post by _r0lZ »

In the original 3DBD, the 3D-Planes are stored as offset sequences in SEI messages of the original MVC video stream. (It's a bit complex to explain, but you should just remember that they are tied to the original video.) The 3D-Planes are assigned to specific subtitle streams with the 3D-Plane numbers stored in the 3D extension of the playlist, the MPLS file, that is an independent file, containing information such as the language of the streams, the available angles, and so on. To be able to convert the subtitles to 3D correctly, BD3D2MK3D needs the two informations. That means that they must be preserved during the whole transformation chain, including the modification of the original BD to re-encode or remux it as often found on the internet, the conversion to MKV by MakeMKV, and the creation of the project by BD3D2MK3D.

There are several reasons why the 3D-Plane number may be missing.

Some cheap original 3DBD do not have 3D-planes at all. It's often the case of the old movies released by 3-D Film Archive, or of Asian movies. I don't know if it's the case of Miss Sadie Thompson, but it's probable. Note also that sometimes, some (but not all) subtitle streams are not assigned to a specific 3D-Plane in the original BD, even if it has been perfectly authored. That can be the case, for example, when the subtitle is supposed to be used only when viewing the movie in 2D. (It's the case, for example, of Street Dance Kids, French version, that has 2 subtitle streams with 3D-Planes and 2 without.)

Also, the 3D-Planes are usually lost after a re-encode of the movie (for example to convert a BD50 to BD25). Unfortunately, since the 3D-Planes are stored in the MVC video stream, and that stream is re-created during the re-encoding, the operation destroys them. Of course, the 3D-Planes can also be missing (or bad) in a 3DBD remuxed from an original 3DBD without subtitles with additional subtitle streams from other sources. So, if your movie has been downloaded from the internet (it's bad!) you cannot be sure that the 3D-Planes have been preserved.

Historically, the old versions of MakeMKV (up to 1.9.9) did not save the 3D-Planes assignments at all. The 3D-Planes themselves were preserved as MakeMKV doesn't recode the MVC stream, but the assignments of the 3D-Planes numbers from the MPLS file were never included in the final MKV. Currently, I'm almost sure that MakeMKV does the job correctly. It stores now the 3D-Plane numbers in special tags, that BD3D2MK3D reads to know the exact assignments.

AFAIK, BD3D2MK3D is always able to retrieve the correct 3D-Plane numbers from the source BD, ISO or MKV, if that information is present of course.

The current version of MakeMKV (v1.15.2) shows you the number of the 3D-Plane in the Track Information field of the right pane, when you select a specific subtitle stream in the list of streams, and afaik that information is correct. If there is no 3D-Plane information, that means that the original BD (or ISO) doesn't have the information, for one of the reasons above. Of course, in that case, you can't blame MakeMKV or BD3D2MK3D.

I don't use MakeMKV often, but I did a test right now with Street Dance Kids, and I can confirm that BD3D2MK3D can read the 3D-Plane information stored in the MKV by MakeMKV. For that movie and all movies with 3D-Plane information, the "?" button about the 3D-Planes in BD3D2MK3D shows "The 3D-Plane numbers are defined in the MKV. You should not modify them."

When the 3D-Planes numbers are not found in the MKV created by MakeMKV, the "?" button shows "Be sure to define the right 3D-Plane number for the subtitle streams you need!". In that case, the problem is probably in the original BD, that may have no valid offset sequences at all in the MVC stream. And of course, in that case, MakeMKV cannot invent one.

Anyway, when at least one subtitle stream is selected in tab 2 of BD3D2MK3D, even if it has no 3D-Plane number, BD3D2MK3D will try to extract the 3D-Planes from the MVC anyway, and it will use the first non-empty 3D-Plane it finds by default. (That may not give perfect results, but it's better than nothing.) If there is no 3D-Plane at all in the MVC, it will issue a warning in the final dialog shown at the end of the creation of the project. That will certainly mean that there is no 3D-Plane in the original BD (unless there is a bug in MakeMKV, but I don't think so.)

So, to summarize, as far as I know, everything should be automatic and correct if the original BD has been authored correctly and has not been butchered by pirates. If you see a warning or no 3D-Plane info in MakeMKV, that means probably that the source in bad, and you cannot do much to solve the problem.
Last edited by _r0lZ on Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_r0lZ

Post by _r0lZ »

preserve wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:13 am
I'm using the latest MakeMKV and the latest release (I think?) of BD3D2MK3D, version 0.100, which hasn't been updated for some time?
Oops ! The current version of BD3D2MK3D is v1.19. Please download it here.
preserve

Post by preserve »

_r0lZ wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:46 am
Oops ! The current version of BD3D2MK3D is v1.19. Please download it here.
Thank you for spending some time to give a longer explanation about how everything works! Now I understand better. I own original discs of all my collection, nothing downloaded ;) I will upgrade to the latest version of your fantastic program, thank you!
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00