Where does MakeMKV get it's title decoding (comments)?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Shwalamazula

Where does MakeMKV get it's title decoding (comments)?

Post by Shwalamazula »

When I open a disc, at times there will be hundreds of fake titles and I will need to go thru forums to find out which title is the real one. Every once-in-a-while, MakeMKV will have notations next to a title with something like (FeatureFilm), and I won't need to hunt for it.

I have to assume that MakeMKV is somehow comparing a disc signature to a database and then pulling title information from that database. If that is the case, what is the database that MakeMKV is pulling from? I have about 500 blu rays now and I would be happy to submit disc signatures and mapping info.

I saw another post that referenced thediscdb.com, but it seemed really limited and didn't look like it had a lot of activity on it. If that is the database that MakeMKV uses, I will happily start contributing.

I think what I am looking for is the resource that adds comments to titles.
dcoke22

Re: Where does MakeMKV get it's title decoding (comments)?

Post by dcoke22 »

Blu-ray players can run Java code to create menus and do the fancy things blu-rays can do. When a disc has playlist obfuscation. it also has Java code on it that allows the player to pick the right title. If MakeMKV is configured to use Java, it can attempt to run that code to find the right title. It doesn't always work, but when you see notations next to titles in MakeMKV, that's what's happening.

As far as I'm aware, MakeMKV does not use disc signature data from a server on the internet for that stuff.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

https://thediscdb.com is a project created by a MakeMKV user that is a pretty good resource but I don't think it is officially associated with MakeMKV.
Shwalamazula

Post by Shwalamazula »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:46 pm
https://thediscdb.com is a project created by a MakeMKV user that is a pretty good resource but I don't think it is officially associated with MakeMKV.
I was looking at that. I was thinking of helping with it but the documentation is really hard to follow. I think I'll shoot an email and see if the project is still alive.