MakeMKV Batch Converter

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Chetwood

Re: MakeMKV Batch Converter

Post by Chetwood »

This one still connects every time it's started though, right? I find that strange especially since calling up the URL in a browser does not work.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
watchy

Post by watchy »

Chetwood wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:02 am
This one still connects every time it's started though, right? I find that strange especially since calling up the URL in a browser does not work.
I think so. I think its by far the best batch gui for MakeMKV. I've been using it for years. Wish it was still maintained or atleast the dude would release the source so someone else could continue it. Its great.
Zales

Post by Zales »

Thanks for posting that link Watchy with the newest file release. I am apparently late to the game of converting hundreds of movies from the 15+ years of using SageTV.

does anyone know if the donate button is still valid for the author? He has saved me countless time and I would like to say thanks with $.
ThisGuy

Post by ThisGuy »

Same here. How to donate? I've had an issue with all my 1000+ DVDFab movies, which MakeMKV fixes. The amount of time this saves me is ridiculous.
mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

watchy wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:12 pm
Wish it was still maintained or atleast the dude would release the source so someone else could continue it. Its great.
Isn't this the source? Or was it for an older version?: https://github.com/alexgritton/MakeMKVBatchConverter
ThisGuy

Post by ThisGuy »

I just poked through the files. As a 26 year programmer myself, I can see this dude put a ton of work into this with such great results and I wonder how he could just disappear from it altogether.
Ronin22222

Post by Ronin22222 »

Does anyone still have this? I had to reinstall Windows and the new version found at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9345 doesn't work for me. It fails every time it hits a dummy subtitle track and stops processing the disc
just4kicks

Post by just4kicks »

updated: 9/7/2022: Hi folks,
I apologize it doesn't quite work as I intended. When I ran the batch script below, I tested on 14 DVD ISOs, from a (the same) series, in the same folder and it worked perfectly. I ran a quick test on ISOs in folders - it seemed to work. Later, I found that it didn't really work in ISOs in different folders as I had intended. Further testing this morning of different DVD series/movies ISOs in the same folder didn't reliably export to mkv all the time either. Some it failed, had to run twice, some it didn't do at all for various reasons (like "No additional sense information" errors). I wanted to delete the below post, but then, maybe if someone saw it, it might help you to get to that next level where I failed. I won't have time to work on it for a while, but if I do, will update when/if I succeed. Thanks and good luck.

First, it failed if there are spaces in the iso folder or file name. So you have to use single quoting in the 'for' variable - I played with it last night and at least got that working (code not updated below for that), but even when I was able to capture and quote the full path/filename with spaces/special characters, makemkvcon64.exe didn't always read the ISO and skipped it.

Second problem... If it does happen to work on your ISO and your are exporting to the same folder, what happens if you have a same generic title filename export to the same folder where a previous one already exists - it will ask you if you want to overwrite it. You could use 'echo "y" | [commands-set]' but then it would overwrite older titles you already wrote. I was working on 2 ideas. 1) get folder path of iso and take the last folder in the file/folderpath (i.e. E:\videos\iso\abc and 123\abc123.iso) take "abc and 123" and make that the folder export - so using the code below, mkdir E:\videos\abc and 123\ and then export the mkv to E:\videos\abc and 123\abc123.mkv - basically creating a folder for each mkv iso export so you don't run into the overwrite issue. 2) the other idea I had was appending date/time to the mkv export - for example, abc123.iso would become abc123_202209072207.mkv or something like that, but I could not find a way to dictate export filename to makemkvcon64. After the makemkvcon64 mkv command, I could probably do some kind of do/while loop, looking for mkv files without the date append in my export folder, append date/time to filename, then continue on the with the next title/next ISO.

Hopefully others will have better luck than I did.

sorry again.

==----------------------------

So was reading through this and here's what I needed:

I needed to take a bunch of ISO images with multiple titles in each DVD, export them to MKV (which I will mess with later to compress them, move to mp4, etc)... I got the makemkv, installed it (too lazy to create a path for it, so I copied the installation files in C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\ to the folder where I was working (in this case, H:)...

I then created this batch file:

Code: Select all

@echo off
for /f "tokens=*" %%A in ('dir /B /S *.iso') DO (
	makemkvcon64.exe info %%A > title.txt
	FOR /F "tokens=2 USEBACKQ" %%F IN (`findstr /C:"Title  " title.txt`) DO (
		REM echo %%F
		makemkvcon64.exe mkv %%A %%F E:\Video
	)

)
SO WHAT???

So, what this does is:
1) find each iso file from the folder I run the batch file in - look in subfolders too (dir /B /S *.iso) and assign each path/file to %%A.
2) use makemkvcon64 to get info from each file %%A, and output that info output to a file called "title.txt"
info will output a bunch of stuff, but two items interested me - first, "Title #xx" where xx=number of title, but these title references are useless for me for what I need to do as they also include titles that makemkv will ignore. Next, the info outputs info like this:
"Title 1
Title 2
Title 3"
...etc

That's the one I need - those are the real titles that are eligible for export.
3) Take the second word (or number in this case, tokens=2) from searching Title.txt for "Title " <-- this is important, must have double space after Title to avoid pulling the titles from Title #xx that aren't necessarily usable.
REM echo %%F is for debugging - checking the value through each loop to see that it's actually getting "xx" where xx is the correct and exportable to mkv title number.

4) use makemkvcon64 mkv [filepath\filename] [title # as a integer] E:\Video <-- E:\video is my output folder.

Done. Hope this helps someone be able to batch process MKVs from iso files.
toothygrin1231

Post by toothygrin1231 »

Hi, all. I know I'm new to this board, but I made a Linux shell script variant of just4kicks' fantastic batch file (thank you, u/just4kicks!!). This script assumes that you have all your .iso's in subdirectories below the script path. Also, I had a few isos that just died in the middle of running the makemkvcon utility (did it in the gui version too, so it's probably those files.) I'd estimate it happened to 1 in 40 or so. Anyway, I'm running this one right now on 200-plus isos and it seems to be doing the thing.

Code: Select all

SAVEIFS=$IFS
IFS=$(echo -en "\n\b")
for getlslist in `find . -name *.iso`
do
        title=$(basename "$getlslist" .iso)
        pathname=$(dirname "$getlslist")
        echo ${title}
        if [ ! -d "${pathname}/${title}" ]
        then
                echo Creating folder "$pathname/$title"
                mkdir "${pathname}/${title}"
        fi
        if [ ! -f "${title}".txt ]
        then
                echo Creating file "$title".txt
                makemkvcon info "$getlslist" > "$title".txt
        fi
        for gettitlenum in `grep "Title  " "$title".txt | sed -En 's/Title  //p' `
        do
                # For loop
                echo $gettitlenum
                echo makemkvcon mkv "$getlslist" "$gettitlenum" "${pathname}/${title}"
                makemkvcon mkv "$getlslist" "$gettitlenum" "${pathname}/${title}"
        done
done
IFS=$SAVEIFS
gattoteam

Post by gattoteam »

Hello!

Is there a way to download the most recent version of this software? The link doesn't work (just like the movies2mkv link: it doesn't work either. I'd like to try at least one of the two programs).

Can someone help me?

Thank you :D
rms347

Post by rms347 »

gattoteam wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:36 am
Hello!

Is there a way to download the most recent version of this software? The link doesn't work (just like the movies2mkv link: it doesn't work either. I'd like to try at least one of the two programs).

Can someone help me?

Thank you :D
I too am looking for either of these bulk converters!

I rip all my DVD and Blurays into their native folder structure but now would like to convert all these (almost 2000 movies) to MKV.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

rms347 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:30 pm
I too am looking for either of these bulk converters!

I rip all my DVD and Blurays into their native folder structure but now would like to convert all these (almost 2000 movies) to MKV.
A wayback link to the last working version of one of these batch converters I'm aware of was posted here.

Never used it extensively, but helped get someone started back in late 2021. I found that while this one worked & had a number interesting features, it was less intuitive than MakeMKV Batch Converter. That said, if you are up to spending some time reading that thread & experimenting. It'll get the job done.