Can we get the option to disable a video track extraction?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
chungy

Can we get the option to disable a video track extraction?

Post by chungy »

There's a few times with my encoded files that I wish to alter the audio of my rips, while keeping the video I've already processed. It'd be nice if MakeMKV could disable extracting a video track, so that I might extract audio tracks only.
Woodstock

Re: Can we get the option to disable a video track extraction?

Post by Woodstock »

Previously, Mike has said no. And ignoring the video track doesn't make that much difference in speed, because the whole file has to be read to pull the parts out of it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

it's not quite true. if reading from an optical disc, it probably doesn't make much of a difference (write speeds would be limited by read speed), but if reading from an ISO or decrypted backup, writing a huge amount less data would make the process significantly faster, especially if read/writing to the same drive.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

thetoad wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:18 pm
it's not quite true. if reading from an optical disc, it probably doesn't make much of a difference (write speeds would be limited by read speed), but if reading from an ISO or decrypted backup, writing a huge amount less data would make the process significantly faster, especially if read/writing to the same drive.
I have a relatively inexpensive SSD that I use as 'scratch' space for just such a purpose. I often end up making .mkv files from backups on a hard drive array to the scratch SSD. I typically get speeds in the 300mb/s - 400mb/s range. A whole blu-ray movie generally takes less than 3 minutes. Generally, I'm limited to the speed of my slowest drive which is often my SSD.