One movie, 2 DVD, and after ?

Everything related to MakeMKV
aymeric000

One movie, 2 DVD, and after ?

Post by aymeric000 »

Hi ! I love this software ! but i have one little question.

I rip a movie who is in 2 part in 2 différent DVD, so i creat 2 mkv.

But now i want to make only one MKV with these 2 mkv without encoding, have you any idea ?

I tried Mmg.exe (a gui for mkvmerge) but the output file is a above 8gb mkv (like 2 mkv in one) but he play only the single part and not the second... i don't know why, i put the first mkv and i click on "add part" and i put the second mkv.

Thank you ! (sorry for my bad english !)
Woodstock

Re: One movie, 2 DVD, and after ?

Post by Woodstock »

With mkvmerge, you would be "appending" the second file, not "adding" it. Adding puts the tracks "side by side", so you would have two video tracks, and two of every audio and subtitle track.

The tricky part is if you are dealing with chapters, because the numbers would be wrong for the second part.

You might find information on how to do this by searching for "merge lord of the rings" on Google. That was a popular topic a few years ago.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Devore

Re: One movie, 2 DVD, and after ?

Post by Devore »

In MKVMerge, you click on the "Append" button, not "Add". Append will properly sequence all the tracks (assuming they match between the two files) so they will seamlessly play one after the other. Otherwise you end up with two tracks side by side. MKVMerge takes care of all the timings and offsets for you, like subtitles and chapters, even audio, if it has an offset marked.