Feature Request - Order identification

Everything related to MakeMKV
deathtical

Feature Request - Order identification

Post by deathtical »

I noticed in a recent version of MakeMKV that on some of my bluray movies it identify one of the tracks as "primary". I also have some TV shows and anime that I rip and I've noticed that on newer discs the publishers have been getting cheeky and the episodes are not in order. I was wondering if it was possible for MakeMKV to determine what the actual order is. I'm not a programmer so I don't know how difficult this is but there must be some kind of file on the disc that tells the menu which file is associated with ep1, ep2, ep3, etc. Is there a way for MakeMKV to utilize the menu file to do this?

Aside from that I just wanted to say that I love this app and you guys have done an awesome job. Keep up the excellent work!

ndjamena

Re: Feature Request - Order identification

Post by ndjamena »

Well, generally the naming of the m2ts files are pretty good indicators of episode order, the play next commands would also be pretty good indicators, but in the end the episodes aren't identified directly, the authors know exactly what they're dealing with and no one else needs to know. Any attempt to discern episode order would be open to error. Plus, MakeMKV can't actually tell if a disc contains a movie or TV show episodes. There are things MakeMKV can do to make it more likely to get the episodes in order but really MakeMKV's job is to get this stuff off the disc and put it onto a HDD, it's up to us to sort out what's what... These things are complicated... and there's cans of worms to consider. If Mike wants to do something about this I won't complain, but I don't really mind either way.
deathtical

Post by deathtical »

OK. As I mentioned, it only seems to be with newer releases where I see this. For example, the first few seasons of BBT rip in the right order but the later seasons don't. Same thing with Clone Wars (the last season of this was all over the place). I guess it is another thing manufacturers are doing to make life difficult for people like use that don't want to deal with their marketing BS. They still don't seem to get the fact that we already paid for the content, we shouldn't have to spend our time watching irrelevant ads and waiting for useless menus to load.

Sorry, had a bit of a rant there. Either way, if there is something that can be done to make it easier that would be awesome. If it is too much of a pain for the devs that’s cool too. Thanks again
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Unfortunately, though, while the file NAMES are a high-probability bet, MakeMKV uses the physical position of the file name in the directory to set the title order.... :(

You can count on the physical order being screwed up from some publishers - Funimation, for example, likes to do that.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

deathtical wrote:OK. As I mentioned, it only seems to be with newer releases where I see this. For example, the first few seasons of BBT rip in the right order but the later seasons don't. Same thing with Clone Wars (the last season of this was all over the place). I guess it is another thing manufacturers are doing to make life difficult for people like use that don't want to deal with their marketing BS. They still don't seem to get the fact that we already paid for the content, we shouldn't have to spend our time watching irrelevant ads and waiting for useless menus to load.

Sorry, had a bit of a rant there. Either way, if there is something that can be done to make it easier that would be awesome. If it is too much of a pain for the devs that’s cool too. Thanks again
Hmmm, I had to insert the first disc of Star Trek TOS into my Blu Ray player to figure out what the Star Trek Access episode was about (and why according to MakeMKV it simply didn't exist) and the first thing to greet me was a trailer for the first Star Trek reboot movie. It does occur to me that it's kind of rude that despite the fact I've just given them money they're wasting my time trying to get me to spend more (on something I already own anyway) and it's going to keep doing that every single time I insert the disc until the end of time. Trailers should be confined to the special features menu, not forced upon us unconditionally.

No apology necessary, it warrants excessive bouts of ranting and the dehumanising aspects of the issue IS a good argument for the necessity of 'illegal' ripping software.
deathtical

Post by deathtical »

True enough.

By the way, does anyone know of any decent free bluray playing software for Windows? All the ones I can find are either very resource intensive or have some form of ad-ware/malware in them. Don't want to have to run downstairs just to see what order the menu puts them in. Thanks
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

deathtical wrote:True enough.

By the way, does anyone know of any decent free bluray playing software for Windows? All the ones I can find are either very resource intensive or have some form of ad-ware/malware in them. Don't want to have to run downstairs just to see what order the menu puts them in. Thanks
Huh? Do you want all the Blu Ray menus and crap or would you be happy with just a list of titles to choose from?

If you have VLC installed you can make two copies of the libmmbd (or libmmbd64) dll from the MakeMKV folder and put them in VLC's folder, rename them libbdplus.dll and libaacs.dll and VLC will be able to play Blu Ray from then on (I think you can do the same with XBMC)... but I don't think that's what you're asking.
deathtical

Post by deathtical »

Basically, I'm looking for a player that will load the episode menu so I can quickly select an ep and then compare it to what ripped so I can put them in order. Obviously don't care about the ads or other junk (see above rant). I did do some additional Google'n after I posted and notied there was a "hack" to get VLC to work but also found one called PotPlayer that may also work. It is supposedly free and without any hidden "surprises". I would be more inclined to try VLC first as I am already familiar with it. Suppose I could try PotPlayer on a VM before trying on my regular PC just to be safe.

Thanks
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I doubt you'll find any free programs that will fully handle Blu Ray menus. The Blu Ray menu structure is far more complicated than that of a DVD player, I think they're based on Java or something.

Here's where XBMC is at:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170329&page=11
deathtical

Post by deathtical »

Thanks. I know xmbc too. I have it running on my chromebox as openELEC. I'll see how it goes. Thanks
deathtical

Post by deathtical »

Bummer... neither VLC or PotPlayer will play my blurays. They only play the first track they see, which in this case is some bonus material and there is no menu :(

Oh well
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

VLC (and presumably XBMC, I mean, Kodi) will get improved support for Blu-ray menus as they are implemented in libbluray. They've been making a lot of progress, some of which should be in VLC 2.2.0 (which as far as I know, shouldn't take too long to arrive now).