Feature Request: Segment info saved in secondary Chapter Set

Everything related to MakeMKV
ndjamena

Feature Request: Segment info saved in secondary Chapter Set

Post by ndjamena »

I believe the title says what I want, an option to add the segment info to an output file as a secondary chapter set. It would aid in identifying proper titles after ripping and save a lot of confusion.
mike admin

Re: Feature Request: Segment info saved in secondary Chapter

Post by mike admin »

Please elaborate. What is a secondary chapter set, and what is a segment info for that reason?
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Maybe I'm making incorrect assumptions into how BDs are structured. I'll ask a question first. If I have two versions of a movie (or TV show) on one disc do I literally have 2 complete copies of every frame stored on that disc or does the read head jump around allowing the two movies (or TV shows) top share the identical sequences?
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

OK, I'll explain anyway, assuming the head jumps around, if it doesn't please ignore me.

Chapters first. The MKV format has a lot of capabilities that at this point are under-utilised. One of them is in chapters, the MKVMergeGUI calls them edition. Basically, you can create more than one 'edition' of chapters for the one file and choose between them (I think, I've create an extra edition on a file using MKVMerge and loaded it into VLC, VLC now says there's a second title in the file but when I switch to it nothing changes but that may be a problem with VLC).

The Suggestion is about helping to identify the differences between different versions taken from the same disc (assuming they're not already tied to chapters). Anyway, I'll use Spider-Man 2 as an example, on the disc is Spider-Man 2 and the alternate cut Spider-Man 2.1. I've ripped them both and I know they're different but I have no idea where those differences are. What would be helpful is there was a second 'edition' of chapters based on the segment map rather than normal chapters. Name each chapter based on the detail of how it was taken from the disc so If I want to compare the two I can just load each version into VLC, switch to the segment map chapters and look for the ones that are named differently. Obviously VLC doesn't allow for that at the moment, but I could easily write a Powershell script to swap the editions so the segment map comes first and then swap it back later (or delete it). Does that make sense? Is there something I don't understand?

At the moment there's a guy trying to figure out the differences between a bunch of seemingly identical Simpsons episodes and he has no idea where to look. Unless I'm a dunce, this is the solution to that, plus many other similar problems that are bound to come up in the future.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

So far I've learned that if I load chapters into MKVMergeGUI I can drag and drop the editions to change their order, VLC will then show which ever is first. If I change which edition is has the default flag set MPC-HC will always show the chapters with the default flag. It's better than nothing.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This is called a multi-segment MKV file, where two editions are stored in the same file, and common part is stored only once. While it sounds really great in theory, it just doesn't work in practice. MakeMKV can't produce such files. Almost nothing can play them (correctly).
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

OK then, does anyone know of any way to strip the segment map time codes/sources from a blu ray? Whether or not it can be stored in chapters it would be useful infomation to have.