Aspect Ratio is always 16:9

Everything related to MakeMKV
madfloyd

Aspect Ratio is always 16:9

Post by madfloyd »

I'm wondering if there's a way I can get the tags of my movies to have the proper aspect ratio. All blu-rays ripped by MakeMKV are labelled as 16:9. If I Handbrake them, the correct aspect ratio will then be in the tags, but I don't want to have to Handbrake all my movies just for this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Smithcraft

Re: Aspect Ratio is always 16:9

Post by Smithcraft »

That would be because all of the HD content on a bluray is 16 by 9.

You could try messing around with the settings in mkvtoolnix, but I think that will just end up ruining your content when you play it back.

SC
doncht

Post by doncht »

Thanks for the confirmation. Would it be possible then to develop a feature for users to select the output aspect ratio of ripped movies in the future?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Editing these video stream requires re-encoding which is outside the scope of MakeMKV, try Handbrake.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

If it isn't a feature of the Matroska container, then you are better off taking this up with the Matroska people rather than a software company that uses that container.

SC
angelgraves13

Post by angelgraves13 »

Blu-rays are not anamorphic like DVDs. They're always 16:9 and letterboxed if the ratio is different, for example 1.66:1, where you'll have small black bars on the sides, or 1.85:1, small black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.
necrosis

Post by necrosis »

I think your talking about XBMC or the like. I hate this too. All BluRay's are 16:9. The black bars are encoded into the video. So using something like makemkv to backup the movies causes XBMC to think everything is 16:9.

The worst problem is there is ZERO way to override this without re-encoding the video with something like handbrake which usually by default will crop the black bars.

This is not a problem with makemkv. Nor do I expect them to fix it as the fix is out of the scope of what makemkv does.

XBMC though needs to fix their crap so movie .nfo files override the scanned settings for 'media tags'.
bw001

Post by bw001 »

necrosis wrote:I think your talking about XBMC or the like. I hate this too. All BluRay's are 16:9. The black bars are encoded into the video. So using something like makemkv to backup the movies causes XBMC to think everything is 16:9.

The worst problem is there is ZERO way to override this without re-encoding the video with something like handbrake which usually by default will crop the black bars.

This is not a problem with makemkv. Nor do I expect them to fix it as the fix is out of the scope of what makemkv does.

XBMC though needs to fix their crap so movie .nfo files override the scanned settings for 'media tags'.
You can edit the .nfo files for XBMC to display the correct aspect ratio:
e.g.
<fileinfo>
<streamdetails>
<audio>
<channels>6</channels>
<codec>dtshd_ma</codec>
<language>eng</language>
<longlanguage>English</longlanguage>
</audio>
<subtitle>
<language>eng</language>