MKV file vs M2TS file? What am I missing?

Everything related to MakeMKV
pixelzpusher

MKV file vs M2TS file? What am I missing?

Post by pixelzpusher »

I've noticed a lot of people using MakeMKV are backing up their files to MKV files. Why are they not backing up to M2TS files? M2TS files contain the "original" video, "original" audio tracks, and all subtitles. I watched a video online where a user of MakeMKV was showing people how to back up a blu-ray disc movie to an mkv file, which took forever and appeared the video was being recompressed. All software video players and hardware media players play M2TS files these days.

What am I missing here regarding more people making mkv files rather than M2TS files? I'm someone who wants the original blu-ray quality of the video and audio and do not want to recompress or re-encode anything.
Woodstock

Re: MKV file vs M2TS file? What am I missing?

Post by Woodstock »

For me, it allows me to REMOVE things I do NOT want, like subtitles and audio tracks in 14 languages I don't care about.

Of course, my circumstances dictate that the MKV files are only a stopping off point on the way to becoming MP4 files for the media players in the house, many of which do not know what an M2TS file is.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

MakeMKV does not re-encode the video, and only has some options for converting the audio streams. Therefore, using MakeMKV to convert the contents of a DVD, HD-DVD, or Bluray to a Matroska container which is easily manipulated by mkvtoolnix makes life easier than ripping them to an m2ts file.

The ripping speed is limited by the speed of the drive.

SC
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

pixelzpusher wrote:I've noticed a lot of people using MakeMKV are backing up their files to MKV files.
That's probably where it got its name from. Apart from that what the others already said, MKVs keep chapter info that m2ts does not.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
austingrd

Post by austingrd »

Not to discourage you, M2TS files are just too large of a file which will take up a lot of space.
Mistakes are learning tools. Image
pixelzpusher

Post by pixelzpusher »

Chetwood wrote:
pixelzpusher wrote:I've noticed a lot of people using MakeMKV are backing up their files to MKV files.
That's probably where it got its name from. Apart from that what the others already said, MKVs keep chapter info that m2ts does not.
I did not know mkv files keep chapter info. I always kept m2ts files because I wanted the original video and audio quality, but m2ts files didn't hold the chapter info. I'll give mkv files a try next time around.
GFOviedo

Post by GFOviedo »

I rip movies with ClownBD + AnyDVD HD to BR folder structure. Before, I would just do that. Now, I go the extra step to use the MPLS file from the Folder Structure, and use MKVMerge to make a MKV file, which contains the HD and AC3 sound track, subtitle, and I have the option to flag the forced subtitle track so my Dune media players can recognize and play the forced sub. track when needed, and it keeps the chapter options.

If I was to rip a BD movie with ClownBD to M2TS main movie only file, it will not have the chapter options. I do not use MakeMKV for the above mention purposes due to not having the option to flagging the Forced Sub track. This would be a nice option to add to MakeMKV.

By the way, MakeMKV does not do any compression. However, I believe Handbrake will do compression depending on your setting.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

MakeMKV DOES flag the track as forced. If it's recognized as such which depends on how the disc is authored. Apart from that, ripping with MakeMKV and setting the flag in MKVToolnix's head editor beats Clown_BD hands down.
GFOviedo

Post by GFOviedo »

Chetwood wrote:MakeMKV DOES flag the track as forced. If it's recognized as such which depends on how the disc is authored. Apart from that, ripping with MakeMKV and setting the flag in MKVToolnix's head editor beats Clown_BD hands down.
I've had issues with a few movies when directly ripping them with MakeMKV. However, using ClownBD and then MKVMerge has worked the best without any issues.

I do use MakeMKV for DVDs only. To which, I may add I had lip sync issues with two movies. I'm not sure why. I ended up using Handbrake.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

I don't encode my rips so all I don't need Handbrake. MakeMKV has done its job on countless BDs so far.