Warning message about DVDFab

Everything related to MakeMKV
mattias83

Re: Warning message about DVDFab

Post by mattias83 »

The question as posted by zecker in 2019 asking for clarification on newer builds of DVDfab still has not been answered definitively. Can we please get some clarification on this?

This warning was built into makemkv many many years ago, apparently due to a specific version of DVD fab ages ago that did seem to corrupt discs when backing up.

But this is 2020 and I don't see the point in the software warning us if the specific signature that indicated there would be corruption isn't even present and hasn't been for half a decade or even much longer than that. Instead of giving us this warning just because DVDfab was detected as being used to rip the disc, is it possible to detect if a certain signature is present, and then, and only then, tell us the disc may be corrupted? Or can the software not detect which version was used?

I see no value in warning us the disc may be corrupted if DVDFab fixed this ages ago and hasn't been an issue in any recent version in the last 5-8 years.

I'm asking mainly because I have a lot of older DVDs I'd like to make full disc backups of, but I'm still paranoid of using DVDfab because of this error that has been reminding me for years to not trust DVDfab. Am I safe to use newer recent builds of DVDFab to back up my collection without worrying about disc corruption?
bbraskey67

Post by bbraskey67 »

I'm getting this warning message when ripping the discs from a TV series I purchased. I didn't think this would apply to commercially produced discs.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It shouldn't, but... Most of the disks for the series Castle trip this warning, because of the way they're mastered.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
godsey1

Post by godsey1 »

I just bought a new set (still in plastic) dvd set of Simon & Simon I think by Shout Factory and it gives this waring also.
VarHD

Post by VarHD »

godsey1 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:04 pm
I just bought a new set (still in plastic) dvd set of Simon & Simon I think by Shout Factory and it gives this waring also.
Are you 100% certain it's legit? I bought a DVD set from a show released by Shout Factory, brand new in shrink wrap, saw this warning, didn't think much of it until I noticed what bad quality the episodes were and that all the DVDs were single-layer instead of double-layered. Turned out it was a pirated copy. Yes, new in shrink wrap with all the artwork and DVDs with a silver back. All fake.
McStarfighter

Post by McStarfighter »

I've got the same problem with the Law & Order DVD set, and it is the original one ...
tacocat

Post by tacocat »

i received the same warning when ripping curb your enthusiasm (several seasons, brand new in plastic) but the resulting mkvs were fine.
mattias83

Post by mattias83 »

We still haven't gotten any official comment or confirmation on my question from last October. As I said, MakeMKV has given us this warning about DVDfab products for ages, but is this applicable to modern versions of DVDfab, or does this only apply to ancient versions that were known to have problems? They're up to DVDfab 12 now as a bundle, and there's always the separate DVDfab Passkey. Is there any known proof that these modern versions corrupt discs? I have a hard time believing that this is an issue with recent versions, considering how popular they are and how frequently updated they are. Seeing this warning before each MakeMKV use just because I have DVDfab on my PC is unnerving and may be causing unneeded worrying if it only applies to certain problematic versions of DVDfab from long ago.
plonk420

Post by plonk420 »

VarHD wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:05 pm
godsey1 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:04 pm
Are you 100% certain it's legit? I bought a DVD set from a show released by Shout Factory, brand new in shrink wrap, saw this warning, didn't think much of it until I noticed what bad quality the episodes were and that all the DVDs were single-layer instead of double-layered. Turned out it was a pirated copy. Yes, new in shrink wrap with all the artwork and DVDs with a silver back. All fake.
yeah, Amazon is having issues with stock co-mingling of 3rd party sellers and first party stock. counterfeits from 3rd party sellers are an issue with expensive books at least