Newbie With a Question

Everything related to MakeMKV
hogger129

Newbie With a Question

Post by hogger129 »

Hi guys! I really enjoy the program and I was wondering if somebody could tell me what specifically the FLAC profile does? I'm interested in it because I want to compress the LPCM 5.1 tracks on some of my Blu Ray discs to FLAC in order to save space (I have about 700GB worth of space and 31 Blu Ray discs to back up).

If it does convert LPCM --> FLAC, does it still keep the 5.1 like it's supposed to? How do you guys think FLAC stacks up compared to LPCM? Of course it's not as good as the original, but how much better would you say it is than DTS, Dolby TrueHD or 640 kbps AC3?

Thanks.

PS - I didn't want to post at first, but my question wasn't really answered by anything when I did a search.
Romansh

Re: Newbie With a Question

Post by Romansh »

FLAC is lossless, so it's every bit as good as the original when the source is LPCM*. And yes, MakeMKV doesn't downmix, so the full 5.1 or 7.1 audio channels are preserved.

It's also lossless from TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, as far as the primary presentation is concerned; however, these two formats
carry extensive metadata which is lost when converting to FLAC (downmix matrices, dynamic range compression, etc.).