Burning MKV to Blu-Ray Using Ubuntu 12.04

Everything related to MakeMKV
madzakk

Burning MKV to Blu-Ray Using Ubuntu 12.04

Post by madzakk »

I am new and not sure how post here yet? I hope this is where I start.

I want to know how to turn a MKV to Blu-Ray format so I can play the movie on my Blu-Ray Player? I an using Ubuntu 12.04. w/intel Core 2 Duo CPU E84 @ 3.00GHzX2 and OSType 32-bit. I have Handbreak 0.9.8 (i686) installed. I don't know if it matters about the i686 as compared to i386?

I have MakeMKV installed and it works just fine and I also have Handbrake installed. It loads a source MKV file on my hard drive and I can select my Destination with a M4V file format; but when I click on START a dialog box pops up saying:

Destination/ Can not read or write the directory?

My Blu-Ray inro:

OS device name: /dev/sr1
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: MATSHITA
Product: BD-MLT UJ260
Revision: 1.00
Serial number #######
Bus encryption flags: 1B

Thanks. I am sure this is posted a Billion times; I just can't find anything on Linux with Google.
joe42

Re: Burning MKV to Blu-Ray Using Ubuntu 12.04

Post by joe42 »

This is a forum for MakeMKV. It makes MKVs. Not blu-rays. Your question is not relevant.
madzakk

Post by madzakk »

joe42

Thank you for your reply. As I have said I'm new here and new to using a forum. Could you suggest the correct alternative? I am an orphan in a snowstorm here.

Thanks

Mike
joe42

Post by joe42 »

Why don't you buy the blu-ray?
madzakk

Post by madzakk »

I have. I want to back-up what I have so if any of my Blu-Ray's get damaged I will always have a backup!
joe42

Post by joe42 »

madzakk wrote:I have. I want to back-up what I have so if any of my Blu-Ray's get damaged I will always have a backup!
MakeMKV is not for copying a blu-ray disc to a BD-R. It is for making MKVs.
madzakk

Post by madzakk »

Ok, Sorry. I didn't know.
jctcom

Post by jctcom »

joe42 wrote:
madzakk wrote:I have. I want to back-up what I have so if any of my Blu-Ray's get damaged I will always have a backup!
MakeMKV is not for copying a blu-ray disc to a BD-R. It is for making MKVs.
Actually as far as I understand and have read in several places, MakeMKV is for "Backing Up" my Blu-Rays. It stands to reason that if I "Back Up" my Blu-Rays at some point in time I may want to "Restore" them. Especially where 3D Blu-Rays are concerned since there isn't any hardware consoles currentlly available that will play the "Backups" which are created by MakeMKV.

Carl.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

No, as the name should tell you, MakeMKV is for making MKVs. It is certainly not for restoring backups of blu-ray discs.
Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! »

Whyever would you want to create 'new' physical media out of a .MKV copy of the original BD?

Why not do as just about everyone here does; store the original in a safe place(remember, the original is your 'license' to use the .MKV copy. ) and play the .mkv file on your computer, or any other computer you happens to have connected to your TV?

Besides, how long do you think such a BD or DVD-+/- recordable lasts?
If they're not stored properly they may last less than 2 years before sunlight and humidity destroys them. A big waste of money.
Mac Mini, 2005 with superdrive, 2GB RAM, 80GB SSD, Core2Duo 2.16GHz CPU...
2 x LG USB DVD-drives and 'old spiteful' an IDE-based DVD-reader from a desktop connected to the internals of an old FW-HDD.
Writes Sci-fi:
http://www.planetfurry.com/~anthony/
jctcom

Post by jctcom »

Gadgetman! wrote:Whyever would you want to create 'new' physical media out of a .MKV copy of the original BD?

Why not do as just about everyone here does; store the original in a safe place(remember, the original is your 'license' to use the .MKV copy. ) and play the .mkv file on your computer, or any other computer you happens to have connected to your TV?

Besides, how long do you think such a BD or DVD-+/- recordable lasts?
If they're not stored properly they may last less than 2 years before sunlight and humidity destroys them. A big waste of money.
So that the kids etc can play with the copy and scratch it all to $hi! instead of the original. Also so that we can actually play a 3D movie from the backup per my previous statement since we can't actually play the 3D .mkv backups anywhere that would be easy for the kids like I normally do from my C200.

@Joe42

From the home page of makeMKV: "there are tools to convert MKV files to many formats, including DVD and Blu-ray discs."

From MakeMKV "About" page: "For example, MKV files produced from a Blu-ray disc may be transcoded back to a Blu-ray image or set of M2TS files without any losses by freeware transcoding tools. "

So it seems that someone at MakeMKV thinks like me that it is useful to have a backup physical disc of the movie.

Carl.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

It says there are tools to go from MKV to blu-ray. It does NOT say that MakeMKV does that.

I'm not sure why you are so confused. The program is called MakeMKV. It is for making MKVs. Simple.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Is it so difficult to just say
"MakeMKV is for ripping DVDs and Blurays, but not for writing them. For that you might want to try VideoHelp. It might have more information for duplicating your media."

SC