MKV vs ISO

Everything related to MakeMKV
RedBadger

MKV vs ISO

Post by RedBadger »

I have been trying out MakeMKV. I've ripped a lossless file for both MKV and ISO for the same film (The Lord Of The Rings extended edition).

However one thing I noticed in my Dune media player, is that the ISO file always has a higher Mbit/s rate than the MKV file does on the same scenes. The ISO file has roughly a 6 to 7 Mbit/s higher rating. (the Dune media player displays the current and average Mbit/s on its info screen while the movie is playing).

This makes me wonder if the MKV file is actually lossless or not. Or what else would cause that difference?
crowfax

Re: MKV vs ISO

Post by crowfax »

RedBadger wrote:This makes me wonder if the MKV file is actually lossless or not.
It is.
RedBadger wrote:Or what else would cause that difference?
Well the MKV only contains the movie, and the audio tracks and subtitle tracks you selected. The ISO has everything in it. I assume that makes up part of the difference.

Could just be the Dune firmware not being accurate too.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Smithcraft

Re: MKV vs ISO

Post by Smithcraft »

crowfax wrote:
RedBadger wrote:This makes me wonder if the MKV file is actually lossless or not.
It is.
:lol:

SC