Samsung BD-ROM maxes out at 2.2x

Everything related to MakeMKV
stream41

Samsung BD-ROM maxes out at 2.2x

Post by stream41 »

Hi guys, quick question here. I'm using a Samsung SE-406AB to rip blu-rays to a 2011 MacBook Air (the newest one). The ripping starts out immediately at 2.2x and sits there for the entire movie. 2.2x is better than nothing, but this drive is "supposed" to be capable of 6x. I know the max read speeds aren't always true, but I should be able to do better than 2.2x, no? I don't think the Air is the culprit - these SSD's are crazy fast. This is on every blu-ray title I try.

The fact that it starts at 2.2x and stays exactly the same for the entire rip makes me think it's some kind of firmware/hardware forced speed limit. What do you guys think? Thanks!!
crowfax

Re: Samsung BD-ROM maxes out at 2.2x

Post by crowfax »

I have a x6 drive (plextor) and a x4 drive (no brand).

The x6 drive is only x6 for single layer discs and even then only gets to around x5, on duel layer discs it maxes out at 3.8x

The x4 drive gets to about x3.4 on single layer discs and x2 on duel layer discs.

Basically, what i'm saying is, x2.2 isn't unusual. It could be a firmware limitation, or it could be a physical limitation of the hardware used to make it. See if you can find a single layer movie and see what speed it gets to, that'll let you know if 2.2x is the max speed.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox