MakeMKV release plan and update

Everything related to MakeMKV
turtlegsr

MakeMKV release plan and update

Post by turtlegsr »

Hi all,
i download just now this software and test with an italian DVD (L'albero deli zoccoli).

Conversion in mkv complete successfully in about 1h and i need to test with my xtreamer media player.
From forum i see that latest version was released at 4-mar-2010..more 1 year old

Is this project still in development?
Will be implemented in future compression feature for mkv creation?

I understand that real different between handbrake and this tool is full backup for media, correct?
For mkv file creation this tool at the moment is not capable to compress video, correct?

thanks
Marco
crowfax

Re: MakeMKV release plan and update

Post by crowfax »

That's when the post was created. Not the latest version. 1.6.16 came out about a month ago.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Will be implemented in future compression feature for mkv creation?
I understand that real different between handbrake and this tool is full backup for media, correct?
For mkv file creation this tool at the moment is not capable to compress video, correct?

1) MakeMKV's author has stated that there is NO intention of adding compression capability to MakeMKV (There are enough other programs already available.)

2) I've never used "Handbrake", but I don't believe it can create .MKV files from Blu-ray discs or DVDs...

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

setarip_old wrote:
2) I've never used "Handbrake", but I don't believe it can create .MKV files from Blu-ray discs or DVDs...

From the handbrake website:
Supported Sources:

Most common multimedia files that libavformat and libavcodec support.
Any DVD or Bluray-like source which is NOT copy-protected. (removal of copy protection is not supported)
Outputs:

File format: MP4(M4V) and MKV
Video: MPEG-4(ffmpeg), H.264(x264), or Theora(libtheora)
Audio: AAC, CoreAudio AAC (OS X Only), MP3, or Vorbis. AC-3 pass-through, DTS pass-thorugh (MKV only)
I haven't used Handbrake in a while (as I have no need for compression) but it looks like it can handle creating MKV's.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@SamuriHL

Hi!

Can "Handbrake" also rip commercial discs?

joe42

Post by joe42 »

setarip_old wrote: Can "Handbrake" also rip commercial discs?
Not if they are copy-protected. You'd need to remove the copy protection first, using something like MakeMKV or AnyDVD.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Not if they are copy-protected.

That's what I thought - and that explain why users constantly talking about Handbrake still (have to) use MakeMKV (The only "one click to rip and convert to .MKV first)...

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

setarip_old wrote:
Not if they are copy-protected.

That's what I thought - and that explain why users constantly talking about Handbrake still (have to) use MakeMKV (The only "one click to rip and convert to .MKV first)...

That's correct, yes. Obviously they can use any decrypter in the Handbrake workflow. Personally, I find MakeMKV to be the best MKV creation utility on the market. I have no need or desire to alter the original stream quality. That's also the heart of my persistent request to be able to default the audio tracks to HD audio, but, that's another topic altogether. In any case, yea, Handbrake can handle non-protected DVD/BD structures, but, they do need to be decrypted first.