Angles in Tangled?

Everything related to MakeMKV
ashbyp

Angles in Tangled?

Post by ashbyp »

Hi - I just copied my DVD of Tangled and makemkv reported multiple titles of exactly the same size but different "angles". All about 4G so it seems like multiple copies of the main film.

Can anyone explain what these files are and how they differ? I ended up just selecting the first one and it does seem OK to me.

Thanks
Romansh

Re: Angles in Tangled?

Post by Romansh »

ashbyp wrote:Hi - I just copied my DVD of Tangled and makemkv reported multiple titles of exactly the same size but different "angles". All about 4G so it seems like multiple copies of the main film.

Can anyone explain what these files are and how they differ?
It's disc-specific. But to give you an example: there are 3 angles on the U.S. 2004 Star Wars IV-VI DVDs; each angle features the yellow intro text in a different language (IIRC, English, French and Spanish). On some discs, angles may correspond to different camera angles in one or more scenes of the movie, etc.
ashbyp

Post by ashbyp »

Ok thanks - so a bit a guess work when deciding which one to rip then.

Must have got the right one though as the kids watched it this afternoon and didn't complain about it being in Spanish :-)
reebok

Post by reebok »

I think what angles means in animated films, is the text of things is in different languages. so like toy story 3, if there's a box that says "Toys" on it, it will have the Spanish, French, whatever language version of the word on the box depending on which angle you choose. I would imagine English will always be angle 1 on US discs.
Icetrips

Post by Icetrips »

I do this one.

Angle change the text at some place in the animation movie.

Like the title become "Raiponse" in french.
So you should do all of them.. and just fast check "title", middle and the "end" for choice the right one.

It's common in most animation movie.
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
captain

Post by captain »

So, is there no way to incorporate just the differences into one mkv file, thereby preserving all of the "angles" and allowing runtime choice?

This would be GREAT for things like the new StarTrek blu-ray set that includes "new special effects" but also has an angle that preserves the 1960s effects. There is only about an extra 500mb worth of data, by guestimation, but to keep both angles I have to rip each one for a whopping extra 7-8gb per episode!
Icetrips

Post by Icetrips »

No.
Basicly, MakeMKV or anyway other program doing the exactly same thing... read all the path available on the disk.

Paths are a sequence of video... so 1 video could be used in many sequence (this explain with a 4.5gb.. could turn in 32gb+)

If the company created several path all using the mostly the same sequence... you have to figure out which one is the good one.

But few rules:
1.Check the audiotrack, if a movie just have 1 audiotrack this could mean it's commentary or unrated version.
2.The length of the movie. MakeMKV show the list of sequence and the length of all that... it's easy to validate with imdb the length of the movie.
Also if a sequence have the bigest length, this could mean it's the extended version (complete one).
3.Sometime the same movie is there 2 times.. one without Chapter and one with Chapter. Take the one with Chapter.
4.For animation movie, the different sequences change the language. So extract all of them and check the title and the credit. Most time just checking that you can figure out which one is the good one.

In the worst case, you could just backup to disk and extract everything later. (like when you sleep).
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
captain

Post by captain »

Thanks for that complex explanation Icetrips. I realize the different reasons for having multiple angles or "paths" in a movie. I also realize that I could just do a full-backup, and have everything in the smallest size. Alas, what I really want is to rip these things to a nice, compact, Matroska video file, and just save out the diffs (differing data for each angle) to another file, with some way to use the diffs to replace the standard bits during playback. Maybe some day in the future.... Maybe this is beyond Mike's ability, but if not it sure would be awesome! At the very least, couldn't there be a way to identify just the diffs, and save those out to Matroska files, so we could watch the New&Improves Star Trek, but then play back the original effects afterward to see how it was originally done? That really doesn't seem like a lot of code, but it's all beyond my rudimentary level of coding, else I would just do it! ;-)