File won't play through to the end.

Everything related to MakeMKV
overlandpark4me

File won't play through to the end.

Post by overlandpark4me »

Hi, my first try was my Dvd of Bladerunner, and it went fine. It generated 3 files, all mkv. Looks like a couple have the subtitles running on the bottom. I pull up the file through Mezzmo on my Samsung TV and it played, but about 20 minutes in , it stopped. It's not the connection, and the program didn't have any issues during the software process. I've never had any issues with other software like Handbrake, so I'm at a loss.

Any ideas?
Icetrips

Re: File won't play through to the end.

Post by Icetrips »

I use Samsung DLNA... but i don't know Mezzmo.

I see several problem with Bluray due to data bitrate.. encode method... but DVD it's hard to believe.

The problem seem be Mezzmo but it's could be the DLNA also.
I don't even see mkv in the supported format on Mezzmo website.
http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo ... upport.asp

File from MakeMKV could not be optimal for streaming.. because he create the video as is.
Variant bitrate... data allignment... ect..
If you're able to read the file with other player like vlc or mplayer... to problem aren't the file.
(but this doesn't mean another program could have trouble to read it).

1.this could be stupid as.. Mezzmo doesn't have streaming index.. so after 20minutes.. he need to re-read the file
2.also... since DLNA aren't the same with all manifacturer... the issue could come from Samsung DLNA...
This hard seeing which one: the software or the DLNA cause problem.

If it's always crash on the same place, this mean software or DLNA.
If you can't pass over this 20 minutes glitch in fast forward, this mean software.

Else.. this could be one or the other.

I recommend to reencode with Handbrake.. this fix the bitrate and it's optimized for streaming.
Everytime, Handbrake make it's works great.

With a Bluray I always reencode using Handbrake (Smaller file optimized for streaming) or Divx/Xvid also works great.
I used Windows 7 media center and a Samsung DLNA, without reencoding.. I see issue with:
-"Toy Story 3"... I see something like after image blinking...
-"Alice in wonderland (2010)" encode glitch...
Since that... I reencode everything.
Your problem could be something similar. I'm not sure who is the cupid... the AVC format, the software or the DLNA.
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
Icetrips

Post by Icetrips »

Also.. check if you able to see if Mezzmo "transcode" or not your file.
3. Transcoding

Make sure the media server can transcode files. Transcoding means that your media files will be converted on-the-fly to a file format that is compatible with your DLNA-enabled device. If the media server does not have transcoding, then you will be limited in the files you can play. Without transcoding, you may not be able to play all the media files you have now or will get in the future.
If he transcode the file.. the problem come from the application.
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
overlandpark4me

Post by overlandpark4me »

Thanks guys, I'll troubleshoot and post the results. I'll also try the Windows DLNA and see if it gets through without a problem.