LG650 Not Supported

Everything related to MakeMKV
jphump

LG650 Not Supported

Post by jphump »

Hello, I have ripped about 100 DVD's from my collection, they work great from my WDTV Live, but from my new LG BD650 all I get is format not supported. We used MakeMKV and saved them to an network drive. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or a way I can convert the already ripped files to a supported format? I thought I was getting a BluRay that would do this, it says it supports MKV and is DLNA.

Thanks
Patricia
twa000

Re: LG650 Not Supported

Post by twa000 »

Try copying an MKV file to a USB stick and see if the LG BD650 runs from there.
Also can you run for example an MP3 file from the network drive?
Have you run a test of the network connection, apparently you can do this from the LG box.

Lastly is the networked drive, PC attached or NAS or what?

Sorry for all the questions
jphump

Post by jphump »

twa000 asked 1- try copying an MKV file to a USB stick and see if the LG BD650 runs from there.
OK, I put an MKV on a flash drive, says file format not supported, would not play.

twa000 asked 2 can you run for example an MP3 file from the network drive?
Yes, it will play MP3 files from the NAS

twa000 asked 3 Have you run a test of the network connection, apparently you can do this from the LG box.
Yes I have run the LG test, and everything is setup OK, we can watch Netflix movies, play MP3 files and watch .avi from the NAS.

twa000 asked 4 is the networked drive, PC attached or NAS or what?
It is an WD external drive connected to my Asus RT-N16, all that seems to work great.

Any help would be appreciated
Thank You
Patricia
twa000

Post by twa000 »

OK, so network is good, and mkv doesn't play from USB so it is mkv that is the problem :(

So saw a similar problem somewhere (probably mpcclub.com) about 6 weeks ago but cannot remember if was a LG BD player or a clone, but they also could only play DivX mkv.

As far as I can see this is a DivX player, and so (I am sure if I am talking rubbish someone will correct this post :mrgreen:) I guess in typical marketing hype, the "will play mkv" means only DivX mkv :(

Perhaps someone else will confirm???

there are also some firmware changes for this box
http://www.lg.com/us/support/product/su ... ct-profile
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

twa000 wrote:OK, so network is good, and mkv doesn't play from USB so it is mkv that is the problem :(

So saw a similar problem somewhere (probably mpcclub.com) about 6 weeks ago but cannot remember if was a LG BD player or a clone, but they also could only play DivX mkv.

As far as I can see this is a DivX player, and so (I am sure if I am talking rubbish someone will correct this post :mrgreen:) I guess in typical marketing hype, the "will play mkv" means only DivX mkv :(

Perhaps someone else will confirm???

there are also some firmware changes for this box
http://www.lg.com/us/support/product/su ... ct-profile
Perhaps try de/remuxing one of the mkv files using mkvmerge from mkvtoonix.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix

Just load the mkv file, leave all of the components checked, select the output directory, and start muxing. Take the new mkv file and try it on the blu-ray player.

If that works, then it is your fix....it unfortunately would require you to remux all of your mkv's.
twa000

Post by twa000 »

I would ensure you are at latest firmware first, re-try your network (not USB) and if it still doesn't work, then try mkvmerge. On my "googles", there have been issues with LG products after mkvmerge, not with Makemkv - strange but true.

I guess having worked for many electronic company`s across, USA, Europe and Asia, I am more inclined to think the problem is with the product, but I can be wrong!

You obviously already have the capability of going DVD/BluRay? to MKV, so if this doesn't work, if possible I would return the product and get one of the media players on the market that can handle all formats (and there are some pretty cheap alternatives) - it is not worth the time and effort.
Icetrips

Post by Icetrips »

MKV in DLNA.. doesn't play multiple audiotracks (at least... I never been able to do it... except if you install a crappy plugin from Divx).

What is your media center ? Windows 7?

LG650 could have issue with your mkv format.

1.Could you play other mkv (other than those make by MakeMKV)?

2.Could you try doing a mkv with MakeMKV with only 1 audiotrack and no subtitles and try to play it with LG650? (I remember WD hardware in previous frameware that support mkv but only in the case they have only 1 audiotrack).
(Also if you use your DLNA... 1 audiotrack is better).

3.Final test, reencode a short mkv (take more time if you take a big one) to mp4 format (choose 1 audiotrack only) with Handbrake.

The final test should works...
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
jphump

Post by jphump »

I think I'm to the point of throwing in the towel. ...
twa000 wrote " If possible I would return the product and get one of the media players on the market that can handle all formats (and there are some pretty cheap alternatives) - it is not worth the time and effort."
I have an WDTV Live, and it plays everything I convert with Makemkv, I would like to find a network bluray player that could play my MKV's over my home network, streaming support from Netflix and others, and be able to do away with the WDTV. If anyone has suggestions for a player, I would love to hear them.

Thanks Again
Patricia