Linux Mint - Can view DVDs / BluRays in VLC but Makemkv freezes cannot read the discs

Everything related to MakeMKV
tbfmovie

Linux Mint - Can view DVDs / BluRays in VLC but Makemkv freezes cannot read the discs

Post by tbfmovie »

Hi,
I have been using Windows for many years and have just in the last week assembled a PC for migrating myself away from Windows to Linux.
I have a large collection of Bluray and DVDs that I'd like to add to a NAS/Media server in the future so one of my first taks in Linux is getting the hang of Makemkv.
I've installed the most recent version of Makemkv and followed the instructions on this forum.
On opening Makemkv it does show my source drive (ASUS BW-16D1HT) and the File menu options are available. I also have added the most recent trial version key.
When I insert a DVD it says 'Disc is being loaded' and I can hear disc activity from the drive, however it just stays on this message and the File menu option items are 'ghosted' out.
It isn't a disc problem as I can view the film on this machine with VLC perfectly and I can view the folders/files on the discs, I've tried numerous DVDs and Blu-Rays all with the same problem.
I have tried inserting the disc before opening Makemkv and same issue. Numerous reboots. OS updates are all installed. I've tried running Makemkv from the terminal and from the menu.
I have trawled through this forum and search engines for the past few days to no avail, if someone could possibly point my in the right direction? that would be greatly appreciated.

Optical drive: ASUS BW-16D1HT