WH14NS40 Unable to read Bluray after firmware flash

Everything related to MakeMKV
shredder

WH14NS40 Unable to read Bluray after firmware flash

Post by shredder »

Hello, I'm new to this so I don't know if I did something wrong.

I have a WH14NS40 that I flashed to WH16NS60 from the All you need firmware pack. In MakeMKV my BDR shows up as the WH16NS60 but will not read any disk when I put it in there, I thought maybe I messed it up and flashed it back to the original firmware but it still will not read a disk. I've been digging for the past hr in the forums but haven't found anything related to my issue.

Thank you
d00zah

Re: WH14NS40 Unable to read Bluray after firmware flash

Post by d00zah »

shredder wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:27 pm
Hello, I'm new to this so I don't know if I did something wrong.

I have a WH14NS40 that I flashed to WH16NS60 from the All you need firmware pack. In MakeMKV my BDR shows up as the WH16NS60 but will not read any disk when I put it in there, I thought maybe I messed it up and flashed it back to the original firmware but it still will not read a disk. I've been digging for the past hr in the forums but haven't found anything related to my issue.

Thank you
You haven't provided much information, but have you tried powering down the drive?

If that didn't work, I'm going to hazard a guess that you missed the part in the 1st post of the guide that said:

STOP READ BEFORE FLASHING
IMPORTANT Before you flash:

1. Make sure your Drive was built after 2016 on label or late 2015 if you want to risk it.
2. Drive Platform MT1959<Most important in makemkv
3. SVC NS50+ LG only on label for NB drives NB50+
4. Just because your drive is the same model number does not mean it will work, if you are unsure ask me i offer remote flashing and check everything before i flash.
5. Dont flash your dive if it does not meet these requirements if you do you will be unable to read all disks and unable to restore without dosflash that does not work on most modern computers

Despite warnings & unfortunate results scattered about this board, LG. in their infinite wisdom, made a HW change (Drive Platform MT1359 > MT1959) in late 2015, without changing the model number. MT1359 HW predates the UHD spec (mostly) so following the procedure results in a 'bricked' drive, w/out a very high success rate of recovery.