creates iso but not mkv

Everything related to MakeMKV
webmdb531

creates iso but not mkv

Post by webmdb531 »

This seems weird. I can create an iso from a disk but not individual mkvs. The iso plays perfectly (with VLC), no problems.

I can also use DVDShrink to extract the titles into individual DVD folders from the disk or the iso created by MakeMKV which also play perfectly. DVDShrink reports no protection.

The messages indicate some corruption at a given offset despite the above facts i.e.
1. MakeMKV creates an iso which can be played by VLC or broken up into individual titles by DVDShrink.
2. DVDShrink an extract either an iso or individual titles from the same disk or the iso created by MakeMKV.

A log would be nice. Does MakeMKV create one? I've looked in the hidden folder in my user folder but found nothing obvious.

Any ideas? Anyone?
Woodstock

Re: creates iso but not mkv

Post by Woodstock »

Are you asking MakeMKV to "Open" the disk, or "Backup" the disk? Which icon are you clicking on?

Your question seems like you're running the "Backup" option, instead of the LARGE button that opens the disk for individual track extraction.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

When you launch MakeMKV, the second line of the lower window should be where the log for MakeMKV is going to be saved.
webmdb531

Post by webmdb531 »

Woodstock the backup creates the iso and open creates the mkv. I know that. I can even open the iso created by kmv or DVDShrink and can create individual mkvs from it, sometimes. There's nothing to indicate to me what will fail.

I don't want to get hung up on open vs backup because that doesn't seem to be the problem. If it was then mkv creation from disk or iso should always fail. It doesn't. Sometimes it works, the mkv plays perfectly.

Let me restate:
  • iso creation always succeeds. I've never had one fail.
  • mkv creation doesn't always succeed except for blu-rays where it always succeeds. For DVDs it might succeed but usually fails.
dcoke22 the lower window lacks any information about log location. I'm using 1.17.6 v64.
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

There are various ways MakeMKV deals with a DVD.

Creating an ISO of a DVD, MakeMKV just removes the encryption.
Creating MKVs of the titles on the DVD requires MakeMKV to process the DVD, using either CellWalk or CellTrim. Some DVDs are difficult.

More information here from mike - viewtopic.php?t=28541
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

webmdb531 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:59 pm
dcoke22 the lower window lacks any information about log location. I'm using 1.17.6 v64.
In MakeMKV's preferences, on the General tab, if the 'Log debug messages' option is checked, then you get line about where the log is. I've had that turned on so long I got it was even an option! :)