Suggestions: selective backup, disable hash, order, err handling

Everything related to MakeMKV
bugdude

Suggestions: selective backup, disable hash, order, err handling

Post by bugdude »

MakeMKV is an excellent tool, I purchased a license some time ago and it became my primary library management tool because it is really very useful. Even so, there are a few details of its operation that could be improved and I would like to suggest some.

1 - When backing up discs allow user to choose individual files to back-up (from BluRay or DVD)
2 - When backing up discs create the folder structure first and then back-up largest files first (this would accelerate process by making most failures happen sooner).
3 - When backing up prompt user for handling of media errors (allow retry, bad block skipping[sparse output shorter files], bad block null padding, file skipping).
4 - Allow hash verification to be disabled so discs can be processed even when hashes don't match (caveat emptor message to users of course).
5 - Allow fake title detection to be disabled so titles are not removed (useful for DVDs that are poorly mastered).
6 - Allow playlist/ifo override so user can specify material to be converted into MKV by VOB or M2TS files and their order so they can manually rebuild playlist/ifo.
7 - when media errors are detected during MKV conversion try to treat them like a player would, find next readable sector in file and resync codecs printing debug message with block skip count/list and video/audio gap size based on timestamps as well as standarad av sync message.

With these changes I think MakeMKV would become the best media tool available, it is already my main tool but as it stands it is weak for recovring damaged media and struggles with some protections. These additions would give it some real power in those areas and would not require major retooling to achieve (I think).

Kudos again on an excellent tool.

Dave