"Invalid as first byte of EBML number"

Everything related to MakeMKV
alligator

"Invalid as first byte of EBML number"

Post by alligator »

Hello, everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum, so apologies if this isn't in the correct subforum.

I am hoping someone might be able to explain what might cause the error in the title, as I only recently started getting this error when converting with ffmpeg. There are a couple things that are confusing, however.

The main issue is that MakeMKV doesn't return an error message when it is creating the file. Apparently it is reading the data from the disc but is reading it incorrectly. When playing back the media, it will skip ahead at points where it has issues, sometimes only a few seconds ahead, sometimes an hour or more. I have lurked here enough to understand that I may not be cleaning the disc properly or fully and I do my best to make sure it is clean, but this problem is very recent. What I am worried about is what it means for the other parts of the process. Does this indicate a failing disc drive? Would it potentially be an issue with my SSD not storing the data correctly? It seems to be random and will show up on some files from a disc but not others on the same disc.

I am currently using an LG BP50N40 manufactured in 2023 on a 2020 M1 Macintosh laptop, using MakeMKV v1.17.5[darwin(arm64-release)].
Thank you!